View Poll Results: For yor manual rigid frame chair, does your fork assembly flutter at 15 mph?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, but not so bad that it is unsafe

    1 2.70%
  • yes, and it is bad enough to be unsafe

    7 18.92%
  • no

    29 78.38%
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 200

Thread: Danger: TiLite ZR2 front wheel assembly flutters and locks up

  1. #51
    Senior Member brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,109
    Let's please keep up two discussions about the same topic in seperate threads.

    I don't think it's apples to oranges. Oranges to Lemons, maybe. Or Apples to Pears. My point was that he can't expect his stock TiLite to perform like a racing chair. And that he can get better performance with labor and upgrades. Not a whole lot since he's stuck with a ZR, but enough to make a difference.

  2. #52
    Senior Member Axle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    565
    "do something stupid"? I just want my dog to pull my new chair just like she did my old chair.

    Brian, If you continue to antagonize I just won't respond. I hope it doesn't come to that.

  3. #53
    Senior Member brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Brian, If you continue to antagonize I just won't respond.
    You have no idea how much I would enjoy that.

    I didn't say you're doing stupid shit with your chair; I said if you do something stupid and crash the car the manufacturer isn't liable. Draw whatever conclusions you like.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Thanks for all your input. I can see a pattern now. Low quality casters may the cause of the flutter. Design of the chair may be optimal for indoor use only.
    Design of the caster may be optimal for indoor use only.

    I've tried to demonstrate in a humorous manner that nearly every manufacturer offers that caster as their standard option. It is an inexpensive light weight caster option that will works fine indoors, but it's not something you'd want to be zipping around with at higher speeds in any chair.

    It is ironic that the chair was ordered with luggage carriers but is equipped with cheap casters that are found almost exclusively on chairs that are funded by Medicaid or other low-payment sources of reimbursement.

    I ordered my ZR with 4x.75 light-ups because the TiLite forks at that time wouldn't accept 1.5" wide casters. I swapped out my forks with some from another manufacturer so that I could use 4x1.5 Frog Legs Aluminum Hub soft rolls and it totally transformed my chair.

    They came on your chair because somebody selected them on the order form. Who was responsible and why were you not involved in that decision?

    FWIW, Ride Custom cushions can sometimes be modified to allow you to sit a bit lower.

    A new Ride Custom and a new ZR without the benefit of having an identical demo on which to base specs is a very risky combination. I doubt you will see me post specs of a fixed STF height chair with a Ride Custom unless the user already had the cushion when I got the specs. Otherwise, I'd be spec'ing an adjustable model.


  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Maybe "Pr1mo" is some kind of industry code for the word "dangerous".

    I've embedded a super secret message below for the conspiracy theorists that is typed in invisible ink...
    Hilarious

  6. #56
    Senior Member brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I ordered my ZR with 4x.75 light-ups because the TiLite forks at that time wouldn't accept 1.5" wide casters. I swapped out my forks with some from another manufacturer so that I could use 4x1.5 Frog Legs Aluminum Hub soft rolls and it totally transformed my chair.
    That's all I've been trying to say. I don't know why he's getting upset at me.
    It's amazes me that chair users don't understand how their chair works and how to optimize it for their needs. I mean, it's an extension of our bodies, for christ' sake. If you don't make it yours it'll always feel like you're sitting in a chair.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Thanks for all your input. I can see a pattern now. Low quality casters may the cause of the flutter. Design of the chair may be optimal for indoor use only.
    They shouldn't cause flutter. Why don't you just come by and let Mike fix it for you? We are in Norco so it's not that far for you.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Axle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by ABox View Post
    They shouldn't cause flutter. Why don't you just come by and let Mike fix it for you? We are in Norco so it's not that far for you.
    Thank you for the offer. If I keep the chair, I would like to take you up on that. But this is not the only problem with the chair. My first choice is to return the chair and get something else that works better.

  9. #59
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    That's all I've been trying to say. I don't know why he's getting upset at me.
    It's amazes me that chair users don't understand how their chair works and how to optimize it for their needs. I mean, it's an extension of our bodies, for christ' sake. If you don't make it yours it'll always feel like you're sitting in a chair.
    Brian, it's not so simple for some of us. I think I've got a good mechanical mind and a decent I.Q. and I've got lots of miles in a chair and I'm still trying to learn what makes a difference and what would be better. I don't have the funds to see a really good seating specialist like SCI_OTR and buy a chair. I need to spend the money on the specialist first then wait a long time to get the money for the chair that fits. In the meantime I make the best guesses I can. My Tilite TR 16x16, 19FSH-16RSH, 90 degree front end etcetera is close, I can feel it. But it isn't right. I guess what I'm saying is that time in the chair, isn't enough. Even studying all you can and asking questions isn't enough. I know that the closer I get to the right fit the better I feel and the more I can do. It's amazing really.

    I really want to get to the point you are talking about when it no longer feels like I am sitting in a chair. I do want it to feel like an extension of my body. It seems a long struggle getting it right and some of us need more help.

    Now if you want to talk motorcycles well then .. but that knowledge doesn't apply much to my life anymore. I'm saying that a bit tongue-in-cheek. I knew motorcycles. Even after all these years, wheelchairs are still a mystery to me though I think I'm not doing bad. I really do think I'm close to getting my measurements just right but then being a user doesn't a professional make. Don't know how I'll ever get the money to see the best (had some awful DME's, didn't care a whit about how things fit, just wanted the sale).

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    You have no idea how much I would enjoy that.

    I didn't say you're doing stupid shit with your chair; I said if you do something stupid and crash the car the manufacturer isn't liable. Draw whatever conclusions you like.
    Feeding a troll is like wrestling a pig, the pig loves it, and you just get covered with mud.

Similar Threads

  1. Rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive chairs
    By Quadzila@optonline.net in forum Equipment
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 07:40 AM
  2. Front wheel locks
    By Jeff Weeks in forum Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
  3. WANTED: Wheel Locks (brakes)
    By WildKat in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 08:08 PM
  4. Question about GTX wheel locks...
    By sam10685 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 05:57 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •