View Poll Results: For yor manual rigid frame chair, does your fork assembly flutter at 15 mph?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, but not so bad that it is unsafe

1 2.70%
  • yes, and it is bad enough to be unsafe

7 18.92%
  • no

29 78.38%
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Danger: TiLite ZR2 front wheel assembly flutters and locks up

Smashms, As I said before, the exact speed is not the point. The point is that it is a reasonable expectation for me to coast in my chair at the same speed you would jog and be able to accelerate up to running speeds if I want. Whatever that number is the chair should be able to do it.

Now Smashms, with all due respect, how could you possibly know that?

Put aside what I am thinking. I could be far off and my expectations may be too high. Fine. I want to know what are your expectations. What do YOU think is a reasonable speed expectation for a manual rigid-frame wheelchair? Walking, jogging, running, sprinting, or faster? I posted a poll. You can answer here. But i prefer if you answered the poll. Thanks.

Smashms, You can answer my poll question regardless of how fast you go. That is why I asked the question subjectively and not quantitatively.

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    I agree you can get pretty fast not braking going down a hill but a dog pulling a chair at a sprint is much faster.
    Shasms how are you coming up with these conclusions. I can go way faster downhill than my dog pulls me on a flat surface. Regardless, that is not the point. The point is what is a reasonable speed for a wheelchair to go? Go ahead and answer the poll. No harm done. That is all I am asking.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post

toto's vid of him coasting downhill in the Spanish countryside at around 40mph with 4" casters.
    i guarantee that was not 40mph, looks more like 25. low 30 tops. i was a downhill skateboarder in my AB days and my top speed was 55-60mph. i am a pretty good judge of speed.

that being said, i really respect totol1 and he has the best collection of chairs that i've ever seen (in pictures lol).
    T6 incomplete - 14 october 2012

entirely feasible, but hard to prove either way. My point was to show 15mph is not too fast for a properly dialed in chair. In this case I think caster wheels are definitely playing a "roll", also would investigate the possibility of a floating caster as others have stated. Axle - is it always the same side that flutters?

Tooley, It happened so fast that I wasn't sure if it was one side or both. It sure sounded and felt like it was both sides. I am glad someone knows what's up. I have gone through maybe 10 wheelchairs and never had this problem. I just bought supposedly the best made wheelchair out there and only now do I have this problem. Yet my expectations are too high? No. There is something wrong and TiLite is going to take responsibility for it or they are going to take the chair back.

Quote Originally Posted by lonecoaster View Post
    What kind of dog, Greyhound?
    She is a Lab/Shepard mix. Not as fast as a greyhound but close.

I have a TiLite ZR and I have never experienced what you have, even with my dog (who is very hyper and loves to run) pulling me. I would like to think SCI OTR is correct about the wheels. I also know first hand that if the foot rest is out of alignment, the frame would be out of alignment as well since that has happened to me. Since there is no support bars on the castor housing, the footplate is designed to support the balance of the chair. With that not being in alignement, the whole chair becomes out of whack. I say try changing up your wheels, make sure your footplate is in alignment and see from there.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss