View Poll Results: For yor manual rigid frame chair, does your fork assembly flutter at 15 mph?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, but not so bad that it is unsafe

1 2.70%
  • yes, and it is bad enough to be unsafe

7 18.92%
  • no

29 78.38%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Danger: TiLite ZR2 front wheel assembly flutters and locks up

Good point nonoise. I have not looked very closely to manufacturing issues. I am giving credit to TiLite to do their homework. Otherwise if it means that I have to re-engineer the wheelchair, I don't want the wheelchair. This is not a $500 wheelchair. This is a $5K wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Changing the wheels is a more realistic solution. But then why didn't TiLite recommend that?
    I'm sure the vast, vast, majority of calls they get are from people who have caster flutter because they mistakenly adjusted their forks to have absolutely no resistance when they swivel.

Your situation represents a less likely scenario. Having a service dog pulling you along at a decent clip with that type of caster would generate a lot of internal resistance since the chair is also more front loaded. For that model of chair and your kind of use, that caster is like permanently using the "spacesaver" spare tire on an automobile!

I would think that would be something they might look at if tightening the forks didn't work (especially if they knew that a poll would be posted on CareCure if their first suggestion didn't work!).

Never looked at it that way SCI OTR. This chair costs over $5K and I paid over $1.6K out of pocket. To get back to your analogy, that would be like buying a BMW and having to re-engineer it. I expect a high performance wheelchair to be able to travel downhill safely without modifications.

My dog pulling me at a jog is no faster than traveling downhill. I expect a stock TiLite ZR2 wheelchair to be able to do that. Otherwise they have no business delivering it in that condition. It's a liability if nothing else. I have already fallen out once.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    My Quickie, which is 8 years old goes over 30 mph before it vibrates and give me lots of warning to slow down.
    30mph really!! Isn't that a bit too much, I have a dog to and top speed I go is about 10mph on my old quickie with 5,15" casters before they stat warning to slow down lolol. I believe that maybe just maybe you can go 15mph, 20mph top but it's just my opinion.

On average, humans walk at 3, jog at 6, run at 15, and sprint at 20 mph. If you had to keep up to my dog pulling me you would be running not jogging.

I have gone over 40 mph in my Top End racing chair. I know what speed is what.

Regardless of the exact number, the point is that I am able to have my dog pull me as fast as I/she wants to in my Quickie which is 8 years old. I can't even go faster than walking speed in my TiLite before I feel unsafe.
    Last edited by Axle; 01-20-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Thank you all for your responses. That is why I am here. I don't want to discourage anyone from responding. But I have to say that this post is not about determining top speed of a wheelchair. It is about safety.

Put all numbers aside and ask yourself this question. Should a wheelchair be able travel on a flat surface at a nominal speed of a human running?

What kind of dog, Greyhound?

Alex, call my husband Mike Box 951-531-3383, he will help you out and you are close enough to us to come over and he will fix it for you.
    Alison

My Tilite TR has never had castor flutter and I live in San Francisco. I've stupidly taken it at the highest speeds it would go and still nothing but smooth. Since I caught a castor going 4mph a month ago going at an angle up a driveway from the street, I've been shy about going fast. I took a pretty good spill. With my Tilite I am not worried at all that I'll get wobble but it is made of earthly materials and I am worried that I'll be flying downhill at speed and have a castor tire chunk-out and then I go flying. Tilite is the best chair I've ever owned. Perfect from the day I got it and perfect everyday since. I don't have SCI_OTR's experience but I am wondering if you have a floating castor too. Good luck :-)

Yeah, I think for high end wheelchairs one would hope so. Heck, one would hope to be able to go even faster for what these chairs cost. But at the same time, remember...manufacturers are still covering their asses and worried about FDA approval and liability. The user manuals talk about the inherent danger of removing antippers, scorn the perils of doing wheelies and how nobody should ever do curbs without 2 attendants..... Yeah. I think that about sums up what wheelchair manufacturers are thinking with regard to mobility, for the most part, anyways. Hopefully Ti, Top End, and others like them are the exceptions.