View Poll Results: For yor manual rigid frame chair, does your fork assembly flutter at 15 mph?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, but not so bad that it is unsafe

1 2.70%
  • yes, and it is bad enough to be unsafe

7 18.92%
  • no

29 78.38%
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Danger: TiLite ZR2 front wheel assembly flutters and locks up

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I find it interesting that with 21 members responding to your poll, people are either having enough caster flutter to feel it is a safety issue or they are having no flutter at all.
    Not sure what you are getting at. Is this a subtle suggestion to imply getting better casters?

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Not sure what you are getting at. Is this a subtle suggestion to imply getting better casters?
    No. I just found it interesting that it had been either one or the other.

I'm "polled out" on the topic, but it would have been interesting to know what sized casters poll respondents used.

No. I just found it interesting that it had been either one or the other.

I'm "polled out" on the topic, but it would have been interesting to know what sized casters poll respondents used.
    4x1 Softroll - never a flutter, Tilite TR

CAD Attached for your assistance.
    Last edited by TiLite; 01-31-2013 at 03:42 PM.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    so what now?

My guess is that the source of your problem is the very basic 4x.75" plastic wheel/poly tire.
    You may be right that it contributes. But it does nothing about the COG and COG is also contributing to the flutter. The COG is so far ahead that the front end digs in. I actually have to lunge backward to get the front end to lift up. That is wrong. For a person in my situation, the chair needs the COG to be much farther back. To make the COG more backward I move the rear axle all the way forward (pic1). Now the front casters are under the rear wheel (pic2).

I complain to the DME. DME scolds me “you were aware of the specs”. Yes I was aware of the specs. But how was I to know that COG should have been 5 not 3? After all, the PT and DME did not know and they are the paid experts. Like you said, too many changes at once without verifying. In hindsight, we should have set up a demo chair to the same specs.

You/DME ordered a short wheelbase. COG was chosen by you/dme. There is no magic number for COG, what a person likes is specific to them and then also affected by the other specs of the chair. If you weren't completely sure of your specs an adjustable option such as the ZRA with more COG options would have been a better choice. But again this error falls on you and not tilite. They just built the chair they were told to build.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I guess you missed the post where I said TiLite is not responsible for the spec.

I guess you missed the post where I said TiLite is not responsible for the spec.
    No, I'm responding to where you're trying to put the blame on the DME/PT now:
    You may be right that it contributes. But it does nothing about the COG and COG is also contributing to the flutter. The COG is so far ahead that the front end digs in. I actually have to lunge backward to get the front end to lift up. That is wrong. For a person in my situation, the chair needs the COG to be much farther back. To make the COG more backward I move the rear axle all the way forward (pic1). Now the front casters are under the rear wheel (pic2).

I complain to the DME. DME scolds me “you were aware of the specs”. Yes I was aware of the specs. But how was I to know that COG should have been 5 not 3? After all, the PT and DME did not know and they are the paid experts. Like you said, too many changes at once without verifying. In hindsight, we should have set up a demo chair to the same specs.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    You/DME ordered a short wheelbase.
    Not true. Nowhere on the order form is wheelbase a selectable item. That parameter is selected by the factory.