View Poll Results: For yor manual rigid frame chair, does your fork assembly flutter at 15 mph?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, but not so bad that it is unsafe

1 2.70%
  • yes, and it is bad enough to be unsafe

7 18.92%
  • no

29 78.38%
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Danger: TiLite ZR2 front wheel assembly flutters and locks up

Danger: TiLite ZR2 front wheel assembly flutters and locks up

I have a TiLite ZR2 that is less than one month old. As I speed up the front wheel assemblies flutter. TiLite said to tighten the forks so that they do not spin freely. I did that and it made the problem worse. Before I made this change the front wheel assemblies would flutter and I had enough time to take this as a warning to slow down. After I made this change the front end locked up so quickly that there was no warning time and I was thrown out.

I am not talking about any ridiculous speeds. My dog was pulling my chair on a flat and smooth road at approximately 15 mph when the front end locked up and threw me out.

My Quikie wheelchair is 8 years old and does not have this problem even after being hit by a car.

I am in the process of returning this TiLite ZR2 chair. It is unsafe and should never have been delivered to me in this condition.

What type casters and what wheel size does the chair have?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I have a TiLite ZR2 that is less than one month old. As I speed up the front wheel assemblies flutter. TiLite said to tighten the forks so that they do not spin freely. I did that and it made the problem worse. Before I made this change the front wheel assemblies would flutter and I had enough time to take this as a warning to slow down. After I made this change the front end locked up so quickly that there was no warning time and I was thrown out.

I am not talking about any ridiculous speeds. My dog was pulling my chair on a flat and smooth road at approximately 15 mph when the front end locked up and threw me out.

My Quikie wheelchair is 8 years old and does not have this problem even after being hit by a car.

I am in the process of returning this TiLite ZR2 chair. It is unsafe and should never have been delivered to me in this condition.
    Have you checked the caster angle?

If it's off it will cause flutter.

Jeff
    Doh!

4" x .75" plastic wheel with poly tire. TiLite standard fork. The wheelchair is configured as speced and manufactured. In other words, it is not modified. The front forks are at 90 degrees.

IMO 15 mph is very fast for a wheel chair. I would expect most casters greater than 3" diameter to flutter at that speed. For being pulled outside by a dog, I'd get a FreeWheel.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

toto's vid of him coasting downhill in the Spanish countryside at around 40mph with 4" casters.

But, yeah, buy an Oracing. I love mine... Also my Lasher is real smooth at high speed too, both chairs have FrogLeg Uni-tine forks with 4x1.4" softroll casters.

Might want to go visit Mike Box in Norco, I have had my ass spanked downhilling it in a Rocky Mountain paved trail system by a crazy C6 buddy of mine that uses one (same caster setup). Probably the extra $3-4k in his pocket giving him more momentum.

Good luck. Tell Ti to get their shit together.
    Last edited by tooley; 01-20-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added vid

Huh! I have a ZRa and my service dog pulls me in it all the time. The problem here, I think , is not the chair...chairs are not made to go THIS fast! The issue is you need to signal your dog ot slow down or let go of the pull handle.... Anything could throw you out, short of a handcycle, going too fast.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    toto's vid of him coasting downhill in the Spanish countryside at around 40mph with 4" casters.
    He's really moving; how was his speed determined? (I don't understand Spanish.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I believe there was an aircraft tracking him and they apprehended him before he reached his vehicle. lol

Naw, just a guess-timate, chas. I realize that sign near the end is 40kph, that is a warning for the turn. He is definitely exceeding that speed as he approaches it. Between the 3 and 4 minute mark of the video there are portions where (IMO) he is definitely getting close to 40mph.

I don't think the OP is asking too much of his new chair.

Quote Originally Posted by voxina View Post
    chairs are not made to go THIS fast! The issue is you need to signal your dog ot slow down or let go of the pull handle.....
    Thank you for your comment, however dogmatic. How do you know what speed a chair is designed to travel? I get no warning. It starts to vibrate at about 10 mph and a few seconds later it can reach 15 mph and lock up. That means that even if i were to try to slow down, I have no warning to do so. That means that I can never travel above walking speed (less than 10 mph). That is not a reasonable expectation.

My Quickie, which is 8 years old goes over 30 mph before it vibrates and give me lots of warning to slow down.