Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sideguards that adjust back and forward

sideguards that adjust back and forward

i don't if it's just the aluminum kind. i'm talking about the kind with holes. has anybody ever changed holes to move them? they have really tiny allen head screws ya have to take out.

anybody had any luck moving these? they look like they'd strip really easy.

I did not have to change holes but I had to assemble them, the heads are quite small but normally they should not be tighten too strong because it's aluminum. On the screw end there is some kind of red plastic to lock it in, you may have to replace it or put some glue before putting them in new hole.

thanks Big. i got the small ones which are not tall enough. you probly saw in my other thread.

what i wanna do is move the bracket down and just use the two bottom holes instead of four. if yall understand what i'm sayin, that will get them up to the top of my tire. if they have lock-tite on em they might be kinda hard to get loose. ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    thanks Big. i got the small ones which are not tall enough. you probly saw in my other thread.

what i wanna do is move the bracket down and just use the two bottom holes instead of four. if yall understand what i'm sayin, that will get them up to the top of my tire. if they have lock-tite on em they might be kinda hard to get loose. ya think?
    I think you are running a risk of cracking them using only two holes. What I was trying to suggest earlier was to add a third piece in the middle to make it longer. Of course you'd have to find longer screws. I didn't say it would be easy. I thought 40 dollars for the real thing seemed fine if that was all it cost to change them out.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I think you are running a risk of cracking them using only two holes.
    Fully agree with nonoise, using only 2 holes will be too brittle and flexible.

yea, probly right.

nonoise....i'm not understanding your suggestion.

i thought about putting something to stop em from going all the way down but they're barely in the bracket then. this size would be perfect if they were tall enough. i wanted em so i wouldn't have to take em off everytime i transfer. the big ones stick out too far. i'm picky i know.....

yikes, I seem to remember you asking advice prior to ordering and I steered you wrong. Sorry. TiLite's sideguards seem to be a crapshoot, they really want that $275 to profile them. The fact they'd send out a chair with sideguards that don't fit really bothers me. It's not like the chairs are cheap.

Anyway. What you could do - pay the $40 for the larger ones your DME is willing to swap. If the height is right and the quad holes are in the right location on them, get them. Otherwise try to swap for some without holes so you can drill them later. Because they are too long have someone (able friend/sheetmetal shop) shorten them after you draw on the profile that you want. The protective edging is glued on (well was on the last set I mod'ed last summer) and just have them tear it away far enough to cut the profile. I glued the edging back on with crazy glue after shortening it the right amount. If you don't glue them they will fall off. The 2 sets I've done this to (1 alum, 1 CF) I cut with a zipsaw/dremel. The cuts don't have to be pretty because they are getting covered with the edging anyway. When I was done with them they looked completely stock.. and I'm a C7 with imperfect hand function.

Again sorry I steered you wrong.. I had looked at old posts w/specs and thought I was smart. Not so much.

oh yeah, don't fuck with those little screws! They are a bitch! I *know* I had the right size allen key and they still wanted to strip so I left them alone.

I was between sizes as well.

That is why I made my own panels out of 1/8" ABS plastic I purchased from McMaster Carr.

87265K21 12" X 24" ABS/PVC 1/8" Thick, $37.30

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    yikes, I seem to remember you asking advice prior to ordering and I steered you wrong. Sorry. TiLite's sideguards seem to be a crapshoot, they really want that $275 to profile them. The fact they'd send out a chair with sideguards that don't fit really bothers me. It's not like the chairs are cheap.

Anyway. What you could do - pay the $40 for the larger ones your DME is willing to swap. If the height is right and the quad holes are in the right location on them, get them. Otherwise try to swap for some without holes so you can drill them later. Because they are too long have someone (able friend/sheetmetal shop) shorten them after you draw on the profile that you want. The protective edging is glued on (well was on the last set I mod'ed last summer) and just have them tear it away far enough to cut the profile. I glued the edging back on with crazy glue after shortening it the right amount. If you don't glue them they will fall off. The 2 sets I've done this to (1 alum, 1 CF) I cut with a zipsaw/dremel. The cuts don't have to be pretty because they are getting covered with the edging anyway. When I was done with them they looked completely stock.. and I'm a C7 with imperfect hand function.

Again sorry I steered you wrong.. I had looked at old posts w/specs and thought I was smart. Not so much.
    no worries tooley. i won't hold it against ya, lol. i've never had side guards before and guess i'll just get rid of these. and REALLY, don't seem like they'd give ya something they obviously see isn't right.
    Last edited by rollin64; 02-01-2013 at 09:08 PM.