Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeans and Jackets for quads

Jeans and Jackets for quads

Hello everyone! I am a design student in my senior year and I am working on a project with my bestfriend; who is a level C-6 quadriplegic, to design a clothing line. He has a lot of control over his arms, but cannot use his wrists or fingers or triceps.

Before his injury, Jordan enjoyed dressing nicely. Now he usually wears sweatpants or gym shorts because they are easy to get on, and do not get in the way when he caths himself. He finds that most pants other than sweats give him a hard time throughout the day. It is difficult to dress himself in jeans when he gets up because they are not stretchy like gym clothes and of course he then has to deal with fasteners like buttons and zippers. If he can manage to get the jeans unbuttoned and unzipped, he certainly cannot get them buttoned and zipped again. This has caused him to spend some time in public with his pants unfastened, which makes him super uncomfortable. At this point he tries to just keep himself covered with his shirt or a cat. Not being able to unfasten his pants quickly enough can cause issues for him because sometimes he must cath promtly or he could have an accident. The location of the pockets are also useless for him, but thats not his biggest concern.

We’re also going to make a jacket that is perfect for Jordan and hopefully many other quadriplegics. For now, our main goal is to figure out where pockets should be located and that are easy to access and also secure. It also has to be very warm because Jordan gets cold very easily and hates it.

Our objective is to create pants and jackets that are functional but do not sacrifice aesthetics, with individuals with quadriplegia in the forefront of our mind. This forum has been very helpful in the past whenever either of us posts or needs to figure something out. I would love to hear whatever thoughts this community has about clothing, specifically pants or jackets.

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    Hello everyone! I am a design student in my senior year and I am working on a project with my bestfriend; who is a level C-6 quadriplegic, to design a clothing line. He has a lot of control over his arms, but cannot use his wrists or fingers or triceps.

Before his injury, Jordan enjoyed dressing nicely. Now he usually wears sweatpants or gym shorts because they are easy to get on, and do not get in the way when he caths himself. He finds that most pants other than sweats give him a hard time throughout the day. It is difficult to dress himself in jeans when he gets up because they are not stretchy like gym clothes and of course he then has to deal with fasteners like buttons and zippers. If he can manage to get the jeans unbuttoned and unzipped, he certainly cannot get them buttoned and zipped again. This has caused him to spend some time in public with his pants unfastened, which makes him super uncomfortable. At this point he tries to just keep himself covered with his shirt or a cat. Not being able to unfasten his pants quickly enough can cause issues for him because sometimes he must cath promtly or he could have an accident. The location of the pockets are also useless for him, but thats not his biggest concern.

We’re also going to make a jacket that is perfect for Jordan and hopefully many other quadriplegics. For now, our main goal is to figure out where pockets should be located and that are easy to access and also secure. It also has to be very warm because Jordan gets cold very easily and hates it.

Our objective is to create pants and jackets that are functional but do not sacrifice aesthetics, with individuals with quadriplegia in the forefront of our mind. This forum has been very helpful in the past whenever either of us posts or needs to figure something out. I would love to hear whatever thoughts this community has about clothing, specifically pants or jackets.

Thank you!!
    velcro with loops

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    velcro with loops

Thanks! We are definitely going to add loops to the pants and jackets. We might use velcro, but we might also try and use magnets and zippers with rings because Jordan seems to be tired of velcro. . .

Good luck. A search will find you several sites offering this, but I think all leave room for improvement. I'm C6/C7 with good arms but very little grip.

I usually don't button pants. The belt covers the button or if I'm wearing a knit shirt not tucked in that covers it as well. I use a leather belt with a conventional buckle. I can grab the end of the belt between my two palms and cinch it tight. I tried several Velcro and D-ring belts but they were harder to use.

For good wheelchair compatible pockets, we took pants with front patch pockets and sewed closed the tops of the pockets. We then opened up the inner side of the pockets. When sitting, this edge is the top of the pocket. I can easily drop a wallet, cell phone or keys into it, and they don't fall out. The pockets look completely normal to the rest of the world. Of course, dressier pants don't have patch pockets, but with some effort, side access pockets could still be utilized.

I have some wheelchair pants with zippers down the outer seams. These are OK but I prefer a center zipper. What I would like is a zipper a few inches longer. This would make cathing easier.

Since I can't readily grip a zipper tang, I have loops of fishing line through them. The loop is large enough to fit my thumbs. I use fly line since it's bulky and does not cut into my fingers. I tried rings in the zipper tangs but they prevented the zipper from locking and it would slide open.

I have 5 pairs of these: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...ible-pant.html

They've been the most functional pants I've found, once I added a keyring or a pull to the zipper.

C6 injury here as well. I hate wearing sweats.

My son will only wear jeans. We found that Lucky jeans have a super lightweight, soft denim that is very comfortable. I put a key ring on the zipper and he is able to cath easily. The jeans are expensive but worth it. He likes jackets with snaps rather than zippers. zippers are useless unless help is available. Snaps are good.

I have some clothes from Izzy at Izadaptive. http://www.izadaptive.com/Store/tabi...%2cProductName

I like some of the Jackets for winter and such. Perhaps you can get some ideas from Izzy, she is very nice and designs for all abilities.

Cheers, Melissa

If you want really nice Jeans I think Rollitex have the nicest ones, here is a pair I own, made at the same shop as True Religion Jeans:

http://disabledgear.com/products/269...age-blue-jeans
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

I buy my clothes from this German company Rolli Moden, they have all kind of jeans and trousers, from very light ones to heavy duty or thermal. Back is special: higher than front, no pockets and no hard seams that could create pressure sores.
    As you're in the US you won't probably order from them but you could pick up some ideas.

This video might give you some ideas. The girl isn't a quad, but she shows how she gets dressed with no arms. The trick she does with a hook to help pull her pants and zipper up is a neat one.

Since your friend has good arm use, could he wear a wristband or watchband with a ring on it to catch one end of a wire with a hook on each end?

Jeans made for seniors tend to have stretch waists, higher waists that are more comfortable in a chair, and zippers a size larger.

Some stores make or will adapt jeans replacing the zipper with velcro.
    Buck & Buck
    Silverts
    Haband
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.