Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever doubt your hope?

Do you ever doubt your hope?

I am a relative newbie, my son has only been injured about 1 and half years. I am the eternal optimist (Met fan think we are going to the playoffs every year). Sometimes though as I follow the blogs and I see a hopeful post, within hours it has detractors. I want to believe my son will be cured. I have to believe it. He doesn't, my wife doesn't, then why do I? So many incredibly smart people working on this for so long yet there is no cure. But I believe in the Dr Young's, Silvers, Stewards and others. I believe these folks will one day return me my boy, the one I long to play catch with just one more time. I hate the pain of this injury, I hate that I need to put my son to bed every night with a smile on my face and a dagger in my heart. I sometimes feel the fraud as his tears stream down his face and macho dad says it will be ok son,they are getting closer. I pray for strength to be a good dad and husband and make good decisions. My faith wavers, maybe it is just normal emotion. I am supposed to be the rock, not the pebble and I can never be the puddle. I want to fix this so bad, but I can't I am just an average guy no one special. I guess this is just a low quiet moment for me my son and wife are asleep and I what if? But what ifs don't do anything unless they involve the present or the future. So am I an abject failure because my hope wavers or is it just a sinusoid and and I am in a trough? I hope that is it. I think why a c5 and not a t5? Then I read of a 7 year old that is injured and I feel the fool. For those of you who believe in God please say a kind word for people like me for those of you who don't please send a kind thought for people like me.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Sending kind thoughts. Kudos for being such a great parent.

28yrs this summer ... my hope has been way at the bottom of the barrel and way up high ... currently I'm riding a high.

What we see here is just a tip of the iceberg ... what if some new exciting and dramatic discovery were to appear tomorrow? Or next week? Perhaps some student is excitingly sharing the results of a eureka moment ...

We just never know. That's the sucking part about hope ... too much and it feels futile ... too little and you're despondent.

For a ship to sail, it needs to have an even keel. I don't have anything better at 4:14am but keep fighting the good fight!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm going to be 30 this year, I do hope to get married and be able to play with my kids.It is usually more painful to see your love ones suffer than suffer yourself. I do hope for a cure very much too, but i am mentally prepared. If there is no cure, so be it. Sad? It is but life have to go on.I am not a believer, if you are you can put your hopes in it and let it be,concentrate doing your job and continue to be a great father(I think you are one,hope I had a father like you). I think life is happier this way, IMO at least. Cheers!

I think that unlike God, cure is not a faith thing. We look at the progress in just the three years since I've been injured and that gives me hope that the science is going well.
    On the other hand, science needs backing. Science needs to be shared. Science has a lot of needs that we can be involved with even as 'ordinary' people. We don't have to be scientists to help in cure, but we do need to find ways to help. One thing that helps me remain positive is the work I do for cure. It could be a lot more, but for now I help in the ways I know how to help.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Thanks folks
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

For me, after 40 years post injury, it's not really a matter of hope for me but for others. The way I went and continue this journey is to mamimize my potential and keep a Positive Mental Attitude..

A person needs to be in the best shape they can be with the injury they have. If there's going to be a cure, the ones in line will be those who can tolerate the rehab regimen after. They aren't going to be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on someone who just sat around and mopped.

If there's not a cure in my lifetime, I needed to be in shape to drag my ass thru life.

Keeping a positive attitude has also been a great benefit for me.

From the sounds of it, a cure is down the road. In my day they said there never would be and so far there hasn't. But the technology and general care has improved dramatically.

Stay strong and come here when you need to cry and be with those who understand.

I really have empathy for you Muskie. I can't think of anything worse than having a child injured.

Quote Originally Posted by muskie View Post
    I am a relative newbie, my son has only been injured about 1 and half years. I am the eternal optimist (Met fan think we are going to the playoffs every year). Sometimes though as I follow the blogs and I see a hopeful post, within hours it has detractors. I want to believe my son will be cured. I have to believe it. He doesn't, my wife doesn't, then why do I? So many incredibly smart people working on this for so long yet there is no cure. But I believe in the Dr Young's, Silvers, Stewards and others. I believe these folks will one day return me my boy, the one I long to play catch with just one more time. I hate the pain of this injury, I hate that I need to put my son to bed every night with a smile on my face and a dagger in my heart. I sometimes feel the fraud as his tears stream down his face and macho dad says it will be ok son,they are getting closer. I pray for strength to be a good dad and husband and make good decisions. My faith wavers, maybe it is just normal emotion. I am supposed to be the rock, not the pebble and I can never be the puddle. I want to fix this so bad, but I can't I am just an average guy no one special. I guess this is just a low quiet moment for me my son and wife are asleep and I what if? But what ifs don't do anything unless they involve the present or the future. So am I an abject failure because my hope wavers or is it just a sinusoid and and I am in a trough? I hope that is it. I think why a c5 and not a t5? Then I read of a 7 year old that is injured and I feel the fool. For those of you who believe in God please say a kind word for people like me for those of you who don't please send a kind thought for people like me.
    I learned decades ago to just get on with my life and not worry about if and when a cure will come
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    i learned decades ago to just get on with my life and not worry about if and when a cure will come
    ditto

After 5yrs my hope is starting to run thin.

I commend you for being a great Dad! Keep it up...

My parents took it rough too, especially my Mom.
    I don't think we would've made it without a relationship with Jesus!

Do you ever doubt your hope?
    A cure to walk again, yes. A home in heaven, no.

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.