Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: help pls- nurse, etc going back in the hospital-

Infection or bone infarct? Did you get the steroids at time of injury? Ask they biopsy/culture whatever it is. And tell them the extent of any surgery to be done without waking you up first. I'm hoping for a just hard to find pocket of an IV antibiotic fix.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Will they be doing a biopsy or removing the tissue?Starting antibiotics?
    CWO

Ug. My reply got deleted!

Yesterday I got a spinal tap-ish biopsy done that was pretty awful.

They started me on aggressive antibiotics in the meantime but just now, my surgeon came by and said that there aren't that many infection bells ringing in the test results so he's even more motivated to operate tomorrow.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I am so sorry to hear this news. My daughter had osteo as a child in s1 and s2. It lite up like a Xmas tree

Pic Line for a long time even at home.

She still has some pain in that area and some bone damage

But she had high fevers on and off. There is/was no explanation doc just said a bug found its way in system and found its was to s region and settled in.

There was no trauma as well

I hope to hear you are doing well soon.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Mend quick!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Ah, girl.

This sucks.

Do you have friends and family with you?

Thanks for the well wishes, I absolutely appreciate them. When you have back surgery, I'd assume you lay on your stomach-what areas should I be concerned about for pressure? Anyone else had back surgery post injury? I feel like I am unprepared and just sitting here in the hospital waiting for the preverbial shoe to drop... :/
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Feet, knees, hips. Maybe your feet can hang slightly off the end of the table. Bridge the knees and hips if possible. Basically the boney areas. Chest and shoulders shouldn't be a problem I doubt.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Just read this - I'm so sorry! Kiran had surgery post-injury for scoliosis and Kristi had a fracture of the spine below injury - might want to check with them.

I'm sorry this has happened - mend quick! Just remember worrying about things makes the immune system release all the bad chemicals (I know that's not much help!)
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    Thanks for the well wishes, I absolutely appreciate them. When you have back surgery, I'd assume you lay on your stomach-what areas should I be concerned about for pressure? Anyone else had back surgery post injury? I feel like I am unprepared and just sitting here in the hospital waiting for the preverbial shoe to drop... :/
    So sorry to hear this. I hope you mend quickly too.

I did have surgery post injury, but I'm not sure if mine compares to you because my surgery was above my injury, so I could feel it. It was still a big concern about ways to avoid pressure sores, so there are some similarities.

When I got out of the or, I was put on a LAL mattress. The first couple days or so, I didn't lay on my back at all. I tried laying on my stomach, but it was just too uncomfortable. So, every few hours they would come in and help me roll from side to side. I couldn't roll myself because the doctors wanted me to avoid any type of twisting movements. After that, I was able to lay on my back some, but was checked frequenlty for any type of breakdown. From that point on, it was just a matter of switching between these three positions as often as tolerable.

Again, this was just my experience, but I sill hope that it is able to help you some. Good luck with your surgery. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome.