Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: help pls- nurse, etc going back in the hospital-

help pls- nurse, etc going back in the hospital-

Just came from an MRI (the really fun kind, where they blast you with Gitmo style noise pollution and you're in a casket-sized tube for 25 minutes... add contrast, repeat) and had 3 missed calls from my doctor, 1 via my emergency contact.

I've been having severe pain in my right hip, and swelling in my leg/foot, pain even in my toes. ruled out sciatica, blood clots, fractures, etc via xrays and ultrasound. The MRI shows I have some type of rare bone infection in my s1/s2 that may be severe enough to necessitate surgery.

Being a super incomplete C5/6 with a rather healthy (not super healthy-I smoke pot for pain relief instead of pills, but eat a great diet, low carb high protein, stay active, stretch daily, etc lifestyle) what am I looking at here?

My doctor says this is super rare and has only seen 1 other case in his practicing career, but is this something more SCI relatable? What am I in for? It's taken us 2 months to find the culprit, but i knew something was off because my left side wouldn't have the same clonus every once in a while, would swell after sitting all day when this wasn't normally a problem, etc.

He says I'm in for surgery? Any help or advice from the SCI community would be helpful- I'm about to throw a foley in and roll out to the Emergency room because he wants me admitted as soon as possible. Are there situational causes to this that my GP is unaware of? I have a super high threshold for pain and that makes it decieving for when things really do wrong, but how exactly does one get abcesses in the bone? note- I have never had a skin breakdown or sore or anything, and then whammo, I'm about to go have lower back surgery. :/

Confused, sad, upset, etc.

Any help appreciated. I hope the ER has wifi for my new tablet.
    ETA: thanks :I
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    Just came from an MRI (the really fun kind, where they blast you with Gitmo style noise pollution and you're in a casket-sized tube for 25 minutes... add contrast, repeat) and had 3 missed calls from my doctor, 1 via my emergency contact.

I've been having severe pain in my right hip, and swelling in my leg/foot, pain even in my toes. ruled out sciatica, blood clots, fractures, etc via xrays and ultrasound. The MRI shows I have some type of rare bone infection in my s1/s2 that may be severe enough to necessitate surgery.

Being a super incomplete C5/6 with a rather healthy (not super healthy-I smoke pot for pain relief instead of pills, but eat a great diet, low carb high protein, stay active, stretch daily, etc lifestyle) what am I looking at here?

My doctor says this is super rare and has only seen 1 other case in his practicing career, but is this something more SCI relatable? What am I in for? It's taken us 2 months to find the culprit, but i knew something was off because my left side wouldn't have the same clonus every once in a while, would swell after sitting all day when this wasn't normally a problem, etc.

He says I'm in for surgery? Any help or advice from the SCI community would be helpful- I'm about to throw a foley in and roll out to the Emergency room because he wants me admitted as soon as possible. Are there situational causes to this that my GP is unaware of? I have a super high threshold for pain and that makes it decieving for when things really do wrong, but how exactly does one get abcesses in the bone? note- I have never had a skin breakdown or sore or anything, and then whammo, I'm about to go have lower back surgery. :/

Confused, sad, upset, etc.

Any help appreciated. I hope the ER has wifi for my new tablet.
    ETA: thanks :I
    Damn, M. This sucks.

Had any UTIs or kidney infections in last year or so or is there a suspected UTI? Have they checked your urine since this started? UTIs can affect bones in that region of the body (typically hip/pelvis area), especially if there were joint replacements or fractures requiring surgery. Any chance you have metal for repair from your SCI or metal for broken bones, even if years ago?

Has your colon been checked for infection, especially if you've been on abx?

Had your uterus checked? Have an IUD by any chance? Pelvic inflammatory infections can spread into other areas of the body.

Go foley and hit the e.r. ASAP.

Sending all my good mojo your way.

I don't have a clue what is going on with you, but I do know that I would want some one other than a primary care/family physician calling the shots. Do you have have access to a physiatrist, osteo physician/surgeon, neuro physician/surgeon, infectious disease physician. I would want a multi-discipline work up before I would submit to any type of surgery or treatment.

All the best,
    GJ

P.S. New strains of TB and other microbes can cause bone infections. That's true for us as well as ABs.

Make sure the bone is cultured and IDd to help source and treat the original infection.
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 01-19-2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added last sentence

I get a uti here or there but usually knock it out in the early stages naturally before reverting to cipro, nothing super abnormal. Lots of 'Female' hereditary issues but so far I've still got an ovary and my uterus left at 34. No metal or anything having to do with my injury near the area (fell off a porch making out with a boy & broke my neck- not a trauma that involved my whole spine per se) My bp is aces even through this and the pain meds that I've been on, I'm really pretty lucky there- can you have colon issues even if everything's going smoothly (pun intended)?

My gp is aces and I have a sci doc that is the head of the dept at uc davis, so I trust them, but going into the hospital is a whole different animal, and is hardly ever a smooth ride. I appreciate any/all your questions/input for things to look for/ask about as this has been pretty left field.

What's osteomyelitis in a sentence? Only asking for a shortcut definition bc of wifi

also, how does a random bone just get infected if there is nothing haphazard around it??

there are antibiotics that can treat a bone infection. talk to them about zyvox(generic:linezolid) to see if they'd do that instead of surgery. the caveat is that less than 1% of ppl experience side effects lik decreased-no production of the red blood cells (i was one of them :/ ) so your blood needs to be checked regularly to make sure levels are ok.

osteomyelitis is a fancy term for what you've already said you have: a bone infection
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Feisty! I wish I had info to send but all I have is love!
    And the truth shall set you free.

I hope your doctors are mistaken Fiesty.

Good luck and heal quick.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

No help, I wish you well.