Thread: Stats on what an average SCI life looks

Stats on what an average SCI life looks

I saw this and thought it was well put together and useful for those who are new to an SCI but also those who are wondering where is this going to go...

http://www.fscip.org/facts.htm

Well that extremely depressing, i'm a realist so I pretty well estimated all these facts before hand.

That information is actually from the US National Model SCI Systems database. It does not reflect information on all people with SCI...less than 20% go to Model Systems Centers for their care/rehab, so some of the data is a bit skewed. In general, it is good information though.

SCI Facts & Statistic at a Glance

Here are some additional Fact Sheets from the Model Systems program:

Fact Sheets

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse

Fact Sheets
    Cool, thanks. Today is the 29th anniversary of my accident and I have been looking at a lot of resources like this to help me understand life expectancy and plan the remainder of my life accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    That information is actually from the US National Model SCI Systems database. It does not reflect information on all people with SCI...less than 20% go to Model Systems Centers for their care/rehab, so some of the data is a bit skewed. In general, it is good information though.

SCI Facts & Statistic at a Glance

Fact Sheets
    wow what an eye opener.

There's nothing average about the SCI community.

Can't help restating that those paralyzed, sitting all day in wheelchair, hopefully consider getting a pulmonologist in their arsenal of resources, if only for an evaluation and person to contact. Noted from these statistics that pneumonia is an issue in longevity. I'm paralyzed, but not SCI, and learned the hard way that my medical crash with pneumonia was overdue.
    Wonder if anyone has studied this in depth - that is, a paralyzed person's ability to cough, position/pressure of lungs while sitting, possibly slumped, in wheelchair, significant overuse of upper body.