Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car survival kit?

I also keep a small first aid kit in my glove box.

hand and body warmers

Just bought some.for everyone in the family they last up to 18 hours. Of course you wouldnt put it next to your skin if you can't feel well, but they could make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Forget the jumping cables. Get a jump kit starter. One that plugs in the lighter so you don't have to get out of the car. There about 50.00.
    good idea! I got one for family..
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by new dimension View Post
    Just bought some.for everyone in the family they last up to 18 hours. Of course you wouldnt put it next to your skin if you can't feel well, but they could make a big difference.
    fantastic! Can you provide link?
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

jump kit starter

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Forget the jumping cables. Get a jump kit starter. One that plugs in the lighter so you don't have to get out of the car. There about 50.00.
    what brand is a good one to buy?

Jump start kit and cables here. Blanket and neck pillow. Candles (that metal can idea is a good one!). Flashlight. Allen keys for chair with spare inner tube. A screwdriver with interchangeable heads ... last time it was used to pry a burnt out light from under the hood of my car in the pouring rain so I didn't have to drive home 4hrs on the highway with 'one headlight.' I should add a fire extinguisher, small hammer and small knife to my veh.

Those jump start kits will accommodate charging your phone or running your laptop for a certain length of time as well. I just bought one before Christmas for 60% off because my car battery should die sometime this winter (10yrs).

Cell phone in my purse with it wrapped around the seatbelt so I can reach it - hopefully - even if I flip. Nuts, water. Always have meds on me (1-7 days worth). Also list my contacts as 'Dad XXX XXXXXX', Sister 'XXXX', Brother 'XXXX', Nephew 'XXXX' etc.

An empty credit car in case of car repairs for long distance travel. I let one person know where I'm going and check in by text or email or phone call once per day ... there's brave and then there's stupid.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

In addition to basic emergency supplies and phone, when I road trip alone I make sure someone at each end knows my ETA and the route I am taking. If they don't hear from me by a certain time they're to call the state patrol. That is one of the things the highway/state patrol folks are paid to do.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Better to have a phone with GPS.
    Very true

I was thinking that there are spots where there is no cell reception. I guess either way knowing where you're at has little value if you can't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by josieand1 View Post
    what brand is a good one to buy?
    I think the last one I bought was a duralast. And the one in my van is a duralast. I've never had problems with them. I buy them and give them to my family members.

How about a U S A approved version of this........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-gps-tra...-/140630726476