Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car survival kit?

Car survival kit?

What do you carry in your car to best ensure survival in a worst case scenario, e.g. sliding off into an icy ditch?

Cell phone-hopefully w/ coverage for the area you're stuck in.

Triple A.

Good sleeping bag, to keep dog and self from freezing. (Just bought a mummy bag last week.)

Water.

Good tires.

Jumper cables.

Flashlight.

Gloves and extra warm hat.

Any other suggestions? Now that I do my travelling alone I find I think about this quite a bit. I used to carry a shovel, salt, sand, and other items to get myself unstuck. Those are useless to me now. It's time to focus on remaining alive until help arrives.

It helps to have a sense of what mile marker you are near when on a road trip.

For example, if you start on interstate X, calibrate your odometer with the mile marker. Remember that it resets when you cross state lines.

Aside from what you have:

- catheters, lube packs and antiseptic wipes.
    - energy bars for food
    - Hunting knife

I don't know if this falls in with your meme but I also always have

- spare innertube for my wheels
    - CO2 inflator
    - bicycle tire levers

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    It helps to have a sense of what mile marker you are near when on a road trip.

For example, if you start on interstate X, calibrate your odometer with the mile marker. Remember that it resets when you cross state lines.
    Better to have a phone with GPS.

Fire extinguisher that you can easily reach, GPS with voice recognition and bluetooth paired to cell phone to make calling for help easier. A bright piece of cloth/clothing, road flares, some cordage (I prefer 550 paracord) a knife, butane torch lighter, a loud survival whistle, RESQME car escape tool. http://www.resqme.com/ I'm sure there's more, but at the moment that's all that's coming to mind.

I have an old metal coffee can with a candle in it for heat and naturally a lighter or matches.

Having lived in that kind of weather in CO and WI, don't go out in it. I never remember a time I couldn't wait a day or two to go somewhere. If you are really worried about " sliding into the ditch" always tell someone when and where you are going and check back in with them when you arrive.
    Check on that On Star thing. If it works in your area. There is also Spot. Its hooked to GPS and you get someone to check your location on the computer.

Forget the jumping cables. Get a jump kit starter. One that plugs in the lighter so you don't have to get out of the car. There about 50.00.

Living in Holland where there are a lot of canals we carry the bigger model LifeHammer http://www.amazon.com/LifeHammer-Ori...=pd_sim_auto_6.

Proceeds for the pink versions benefit the National Breast Cancer Foundation http://www.carescapetools.com/pink/index.html. Amazon is out of the pink keychain version http://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Pink-Re...ds=resqme+pink but maybe you can find it somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    ...RESQME car escape tool. http://www.resqme.com/
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Don't forget about food. I have an emergency kit with jumper cables, flashlight, heat packs, etc. but I put a couple granola bars in there, too.

Living in Minnesota where there are lots of lakes and rivers my mother gave us both those Res Q Me tools that cut seat belts and break windows. Keep in mind that those tools aren't just for if your car is submerged in water. If your car catches fire after a crash you'll need to get out fast. Often doors are crumpled and won't open and power windows might not work. I'll never use it, but it's kind of nice to know it's there.
    Last edited by brian; 01-18-2013 at 11:55 AM.