Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wise was tonight on Australian show "Stem cells divide"

Wise was tonight on Australian show "Stem cells divide"

Hi, Max

On the TV tonight I saw Dr Wise Young on the 'Insight' program on SBS. You can find all the details on http://news.sbs.com.au/insight/# The topic was 'The Stem Cell Divide'

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Max,

Thanks for posting! I wasn't able to click into 'The Stem Cell Divide'.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

on the left side of the page and down a bit you'll see multimedia, it's in that section.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Thanks! Leo!

I will try again tomorrow! Goodnight...

Suzanne

Hi Wise, good job, i didn't want to watch it all but did, same o same o issues, however i did sence a lot of good understanding from common folk and they seemed to see the issue with common sence and not so much it's one side versus the other side.

politics, the art of avoiding the question.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Thanks, Leo. I was sitting in a studio in New York City, with a tinny earpiece in one ear, and no image of the speakers or their body language. They had many people competing to convey their views. Unfortunately, the discussion got mired in abortion which has, as you know, nothing to do with embryos in in vitro fertility clinics or therapeutic cloning. As Joanna Knott pointed out (she was great), the discussion was really rehashing a lot of issues that had already been settled, such as use of eggs that are about to be thrown out from fertility clinics.

The debate was actually supposed to be about therapeutic cloning and unfortunately did not get into that issue sufficiently. There are several very important questions that the public needs to hear experts talk about. So, let me ask myself the questions I had hoped would have been asked and my answers.
    1. What is cloning? Cloning is producing a cell that has the same genes. Somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT) is only one of many methods for cloning. Banning SCNT would not stop therapeutic cloning nor would allowing SCNT lead to a significant increase in cloning. That is because there are many other ways of cloning and the current approach to cloning embryonic stem cells very inefficient.
    2. Is cloning necessary? If asked, I would have said that cloning would be desirable but not necessary. After all, we have successfully tranplanted cells and organs for decades without cloning. We can make do with allogeneic grafts (from an unrelated donor).
    3. Is cloning safe, both for the recipient and egg donor? Although many people have considered and worried about the safety of cloning, few have proposed specific criteria. Thos who support embryonic stem cell research don't want to place any limitations while those who oppose such research would like to ban it regardless of risk.

Wise.

You came across well on the program Wise.
    Andrew

So there we were, Two against ten thousand.
    **** we killed those two!!

Originally posted by Leo:

Hi Wise, good job, i didn't want to watch it all but did, same o same o issues, however i did sence a lot of good understanding from common folk and they seemed to see the issue with common sence and not so much it's one side versus the other side.

politics, the art of avoiding the question.
    Dear Leo,

Yes, Dr. Young is always the best!!!

You're right they are same o same o issues, but to the common folks, it is an excellent interview with all the appropriate speakers from both sides of the issues!! The producer has done a good job on it and should circulate it all around the world.

Suzanne

I don't belong to any religious body! Pls excuse what I am trying to say here. If Jesus were still alive, I believe he would have wanted to rewrite the Bible in regard to save lives. He would have allowed the use of embryos and therepeutic cloning for research as one of the possible solutions to save millions of lives now and forever.

My perception tells me that when Jesus was alive he had not imagined that, due to the advances made in medical science, there would be ways to possibly cure all incurable diseases. Therefore, he was legitimately right to try to preserve as much lives in any form as possible.

The old dogma should be overturned!!

*And for the politicians it is one of their means or tools to secure their votes!*

Suzanne

Originally posted by Suzanne Poon:

I don't belong to any religious body! Pls excuse what I am trying to say here. If Jesus were still alive, I believe he would have wanted to rewrite the Bible in regard to save lives. He would have allowed the use of embryos and therepeutic cloning for research as one of the possible solutions to save millions of lives now and forever.

The old dogma should be overturned!!

Suzanne
    If Jesus were alive he would perform miracles & heal people & there will not be need in research & Wise with his power to convice & optimism (incurable) will be one of his best deciples/healers lol

But its all hypothetical "if"

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store