Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicotine and burning?

Nicotine and burning?

I used to chew tobacco and sometimes smoke before my injury. Now when I try it again everything below my injury burns like hell. It's almost like it is all trying to wakeup. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

yes, there was a thread about a week ago about smoking/sensation.

my 2 cents from a telephone man somehow i think what is experienced is low level neuropathic pain , times it 10x and it may be described as pain, and it can go up and up.
    when my neuropthic pain started it started as a weird sensation for lack of better word for it.
    and than it kept changing and intensifying

Smoking cigars makes my burning worse

Has not bothered me, wish I could stop though!

Vike, if you do a search for nicotine (either from the google bar or from the Find function), you will find dozens of people who have reported similar effects of tobacco. Wise.

I think nicotine, at least in its non-pure smoke or smokless forms, contains acetylcholine and this is what causes the burning. Wise?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Sue, nicotine stimulates an acetylcholine receptor called a nicotinic receptor. This receptor is present on parasympathetic tissues, including smooth muscles.

This discussion is very very interesting and somebody really should test the hypothesis that smoking increases neuropathic pain. I would dearly love to know what kinds of neuropathic pain are responsive to nicotine because it would give us a clue concerning the mechanisms of neuropathic pain (at least in those people where it increases it).

Wise.

Smoking used to make my legs tight, caused spasms, and would certainly cause the burn to be more pronounced. One of the many good reasons to cease using tobacco products.

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked..."
    - Allen Ginsburg

to those who smoke: how long does it take to notice an effect after lighting up and how much do you smoke?

for me it almost instant and i average about 3 cigs a day.