Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My MagicWheels are here !!

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    They are two-gear wheels (non-battery power assist). I need them to climb hills. Their website explains in detail. Their hubs contain an elaborate, metal alloy gear box; the CF wheels are used to keep the overall weight down.

MagicWheels are light-weight, power-assist wheels, not simply light-weight wheels.
    Calling them power-assist is a bit of a stretch. They're 100% dependent on the user's power.

The MWs are 559; my stock wheels ae 540. I'm tweaking the fork angle for the 559s, so I plan to leave them on full time. When in high gear, they handle nearly like normal wheels (a slight play exists in the handrim).

MagicWheels is an approved VA vendor; Rio is not. Rio told me for over a year that they were going to get VA approval. I finally gave up on them. I did try Widgets (lever drive), and hated them. Their brakes are scary useless and they force zero camber (have their own axle) so my knuckles were getting torn up all the time. I like the lever concept, so I was interested to try Rio. But the Widget levers got in the way when operating in close quarters, so I bet the Rio Levers would, too. So, after a years thinking about it, I finally decided on MagicWheels.

Yes calling them power assist is a stretch; "mechanical advantage drive" is much more accurate. I call them power assist because, when first seeking for help ascending hills, true power assist was suggested; MWs doesn't call them power assist. I don't want the battery hassles (weight and maintenance) of true power assist. I don't need help on flat and ADA slopes, but I do need help with the steep hills in my neighborhood and around town.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    COOL deal man. i'd give my left pinky finger for some power assist wheels. i'd trade the weight for being able to go around the block on my own any day. that's been one of my quad dreams for 12 yrs, lol. i can make it to the end of my road before i'm wore out from trying to keep my chair on the road.
    I can walk a bit, but doing so quickly triggers major whole-body fatigue. I discovered through trial and error over several years that using my arms doesn't trigger fatigue, so I starting using a chair to manage fatigue by limiting my walking.

With MS, primary and secondary fatigues exist: primary fatigue is directly disease related, while secondary fatigue comes from trying to use affected muscles.

I don't know how fatigue presents with SCI, but if you haven't done so already, I encourage you to work with your support team toward identifying what specifically causes your fatigue. My particular case allows me to avoid batteries.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Couldn't you call them manual assist wheels? lol Glad they seem to be working! I read your posts on the wijit and this...was surprised how crappy both trial items seemed! Reading the reviews for rough terrain make we want some.

Want to sell the D-locks?

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Calling them power-assist is a bit of a stretch. They're 100% dependent on the user's power.
    I believe the term is "Gear Reduction".

You been up and down any good hills yet?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Skogy View Post
    Want to sell the D-locks?
    It's way too early to know yet. I love them too much to part with them so quickly.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    You been up and down any good hills yet?
    Yes, but only one short one. My chair was too tippy on the steep hill so I need to move the axle back, and that will take some work because of a frozen screw I have to drill out. But it was great.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Would not be able to get up the sidewalk from my building to the main sidewalk without mine since my power chair died. I do have to lean forward to compensate for my seat dump. The other thing that is really great is the way they assist in braking while going down hill when engaged. For the first time in years I do not have to ride the brakes to control my speed when I go downhill. I switch mine out to the regular wheels when the chair will be loaded in a car due to the extra weight of the wheels and the way the axle has to be protected.