Thread: need Vetericyn help

need Vetericyn help

Hey Guys,

Ever since I switched to to SP cath (6 months ago) I have been getting infections non stop after each cath change. When the bugs get bad in the bladder and I do vetericyn I will bypass and it wont stay in. then after a week of bypassing im sick as a dog getting a A/B and im fine till the next cath change. I'm frustrated as hell with my Dr's cause they dont seem to understand or care whats going on.

I have a good stock pile of VVF but it's too strong and I just bypass it. I tried diluting it with saline water but that doesn't work half the time either. I want to get some regular Vet in the blue bottle but no one around here has the wound and infection, they have wound and skin or eye wash. The lady at the store tried to tell me they are all the same but have different hypochlorous acid.. wound and infection has .003% and she said the eye wash has .009%. I would order the right stuff from a .com store but I live in Canada and it would be froze in no time.

Is wound and skin and eye wash ok for our bladders?? If anyone with a SP have the same problem and have any tips I'm happy to talk to you. I go for botox Feb 5th so I hope that slows down the infections..
    Last edited by dewie27; 01-17-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dewie27 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Ever since I switched to to SP cath (6 months ago) I have been getting infections non stop after each cath change. When the bugs get bad in the bladder and I do vetericyn I will bypass and it wont stay in. then after a week of bypassing im sick as a dog getting a A/B and im fine till the next cath change. I'm frustrated as hell with my Dr's cause they dont seem to understand or care whats going on.

I have a good stock pile of VVF but it's too strong and I just bypass it. I tried diluting it with saline water but that doesn't work half the time either. I want to get some regular Vet in the blue bottle but no one around here has the wound and infection, they have wound and skin or eye wash. The lady at the store tried to tell me they are all the same but have different hypochlorous acid.. wound and infection has .003% and she said the eye wash has .009%. I would order the right stuff from a .com store but I live in Canada and it would be froze in no time.

Is wound and skin and eye wash ok for our bladders?? If anyone with a SP have the same problem and have any tips I'm happy to talk to you. I go for botox Feb 5th so I hope that slows down the infections..
    Hi "Dewie27,"

I don't think you are using Vetericyn as most of us do. Most of us use Vetericyn every day to help prevent colonization and help prevent urinary tract infection (UTI). We don't use it to cure an infection. Think of Vetericyn as an antiseptic not an antibiotic.

When you have a UTI, the bladder wall are tender and sensitive. Instilling Vetericyn will likely cause spasms that results in, as you say, "bypass." Start instilling Vetercyn when you don't have an infection. If you are on an antibiotic start Vetericyn instillations about half way through the course of antibiotics. You may still have to dilute Vetericyn VF with saline, probably at the rate of 2 parts Vetericyn to 1 part saline.

Who changes your suprapubic catheter? Doctor or nurse at a hospital or clinic or a home health aide? Do you always get an infection from the same bacteria? I think something may not be as sterile in the changing process as it should be. If a doctor or nurse is changing the catheter, discuss these frequent and recurrent UTIs with them. If a home health aide is changing the catheter, review sterile procedure to make sure everything is clean, clean, clean and sterile, sterile, sterile.

Vetericyn Eye Wash Ingredients
    Electrolyzed Water (99.97%), Sodium Chloride (0.023%), Sodium Hypochlorite (0.004%), Hypochlorous Acid (0.003%).

Vetericyn Wound and Infection Treatment Spray Ingredients
    Electrolyzed Water (99.97%), Sodium Chloride (0.023%), Sodium Hypochlorite (0.004%), & Hypochlorous Acid (0.003%)

Vetericyn VF Wound and Infection Treatment Spray Ingredients
    Electrolyzed Water (99.816%), Sodium Chloride (0.023%), Sodium Phosphate (0.015%), Hypochlorous Acid (0.011%).

If these ingredients and concentrations are right (I couldn't find a way to vouch them on the Vetericyn site), then it appears that Eye Wash and regular Vetericyn are the same. I will continue to try to vet these numbers and post corrections here if I find an error in the above numbers.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-17-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks guys. No, I have been using VVF everyday or every seconded day at most for that last 1-1/2 years. VVF is not the magic whand for me, it works no doubt but my bugs seem to be stronger than vet. Even right now I'm on macrobid for the last week and I still can't get a diluted 50/50 saline VVF mixture to stay in. I just spasaem and pee it out. Guess I have to send in another culture and get a stronger A/B. I get home care to change it, this last time my dr gave me Cipro for that day and a A/B coated cath to see if that would help my infection issue and it didn't work. The Homecare people are clean and I watch them carefully but it doesn't seem to matter. I have no idea at this point. Trying vitC and d-mannose now.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dewie27 View Post
    Thanks guys. No, I have been using VVF everyday or every seconded day at most for that last 1-1/2 years. VVF is not the magic whand for me, it works no doubt but my bugs seem to be stronger than vet. Even right now I'm on macrobid for the last week and I still can't get a diluted 50/50 saline VVF mixture to stay in. I just spasaem and pee it out. Guess I have to send in another culture and get a stronger A/B. I get home care to change it, this last time my dr gave me Cipro for that day and a A/B coated cath to see if that would help my infection issue and it didn't work. The Homecare people are clean and I watch them carefully but it doesn't seem to matter. I have no idea at this point. Trying vitC and d-mannose now.
    Do you take any anticholinergic medications like oxybutynin to help control bladder spasms? Most people with suprapubic catheters need to use one of the several anticholinergic agents to calm bladder spasms.

Is only one bacteria causing your urinary tract infections or do you cycle from one bacteria to another? When you take antibiotics do you take a 10 to 14 day course of the prescribed medication?

If the home health aide is placing the catheter with clean technique, you need to have that changed to sterile technique, using a sterile cath kit or sterile materials assembled separately.

After the old suprapubic catheter is removed, NL sprays the stoma area with Vetericyn, then proceeds to place the new catheter with sterile technique.

Sorry you haven't had good luck with Vetericyn. I do understand the issue of some people having bladder sensitivity to Vetericyn. It is a mystery to all of us why this is the case.

Keep in mind that d-Manoose is only effective in helping to prevent e.coli urinary tract infections. In addition to using Vetericyn, I take 2000 mg of Vitamin C, 2400 mg of Cranberry Extract capsules, and Oxybutynin.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hi "Dewie27,"

I don't think you are using Vetericyn as most of us do. Most of us use Vetericyn every day to help prevent colonization and help prevent urinary tract infection (UTI). We don't use it to cure an infection. Think of Vetericyn as an antiseptic not an antibiotic.

When you have a UTI, the bladder wall are tender and sensitive. Instilling Vetericyn will likely cause spasms that results in, as you say, "bypass." Start instilling Vetercyn when you don't have an infection. If you are on an antibiotic start Vetericyn instillations about half way through the course of antibiotics. You may still have to dilute Vetericyn VF with saline, probably at the rate of 2 parts Vetericyn to 1 part saline.

Who changes your suprapubic catheter? Doctor or nurse at a hospital or clinic or a home health aide? Do you always get an infection from the same bacteria? I think something may not be as sterile in the changing process as it should be. If a doctor or nurse is changing the catheter, discuss these frequent and recurrent UTIs with them. If a home health aide is changing the catheter, review sterile procedure to make sure everything is clean, clean, clean and sterile, sterile, sterile.

Vetericyn Eye Wash Ingredients
    Electrolyzed Water (99.97%), Sodium Chloride (0.023%), Sodium Hypochlorite (0.004%), Hypochlorous Acid (0.003%).

Vetericyn Wound and Infection Treatment Spray Ingredients
    Electrolyzed Water (99.97%), Sodium Chloride (0.023%), Sodium Hypochlorite (0.004%), & Hypochlorous Acid (0.003%)

Vetericyn VF Wound and Infection Treatment Spray Ingredients
    Electrolyzed Water (99.816%), Sodium Chloride (0.023%), Sodium Phosphate (0.015%), Hypochlorous Acid (0.011%).

If these ingredients and concentrations are right (I couldn't find a way to vouch them on the Vetericyn site), then it appears that Eye Wash and regular Vetericyn are the same. I will continue to try to vet these numbers and post corrections here if I find an error in the above numbers.

All the best,
    GJ
    Edit to Confirm:
    I have been able to verify the ingredients and concentrations sited above by comparing these values with those found on the Material Safety Data Sheets from Innovacyn.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.