Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ti Lite side guards

Ti Lite side guards

I wanted side guards on my zra and after seeing how much stock aluminum ones were I ordered a couple peaces of carbon fiber to match the back rest. Cut out both the side guards and the bracket that slips on the bracket on the chair and rivited them together. They are noticeably lighter than stock aluminum but it was 99%sent cosmetic in using the cf. Not compleatly satisfied with all the cuts, sure is alot harder getting in a good position to use tools but it was good to get back in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by sohum631 View Post
    I wanted side guards on my zra and after seeing how much stock aluminum ones were I ordered a couple peaces of carbon fiber to match the back rest. Cut out both the side guards and the bracket that slips on the bracket on the chair and rivited them together. They are noticeably lighter than stock aluminum but it was 99%sent cosmetic in using the cf. Not compleatly satisfied with all the cuts, sure is alot harder getting in a good position to use tools but it was good to get back in the shop.
    This is a great idea. Have you any pictures?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

http://s1280.beta.photobucket.com/us...90484962053597

Couldn't directly upload pic for some reason but I'll try this

those look good. you didn't have a template to go by?

Just kept the bottom squared to the seat base and matched the angle of the backrest for the back side. Then I went ahead and mounted them were I wanted and used the tire as a guide for the radius, a little taller than the tire at the back and tapering down towards the front, if that makes sense. I have an old set of aluminum ones but wanted them longer and taller overall so it was easier to just start fresh.

Tell us more. I want to do the same thing you did. Post or PM me the url for the CF and what thickness did you use? I have brackets, but not the guards so this should work out fine.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Are you planning on using anything to cover the top edge?

Great Idea, I may do this myself. I'm building a set of pretty non standard wheels and a custom profile would be nice.

I've built wheels before for a trike, but I've never worked in carbon fibre.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Nice.

Automotive edge trim can be used along the longer edges, but the types that I've come across can be a challenge to bend around any corners (I'd love to know where ADI gets the edge trim they use on their backs).

Carbon fiber can be wet sanded to give the edges a smooth finish. Here is a pic from "back in the day" when TiLite's side guards had to be removed in order to fold the backrest. I had to modify a set to enable the hinge to clear so that the user wouldn't need to remove them...

One should be careful when working with carbon fiber--especially if large quantities of dust are generated.

I used a similar technique to fabricate my side guards using ABS plastic (1/4" for the bracket and 1/8" for the panel). Definitely heavier than pure carbon fiber, but lighter than standard aluminum and they only cost $15-20 a piece to replace.

I got some edge trim from http://www.mcmaster.com/ they are the only place i found that sells in quantities less than 100-200'the texture is allot like if not identical to what comes on the ti factory side guards but what I got has metal inserts all along while the ti ones from what I remember only had the inserts every few inches. Although it was supost to be maid for the thicness of material I used (1/16" from http://dragonplate.com/) it seams to be spreading more than it should and im not sure how well it will stay on, may have to look for a different size. As for working with it I used an old light weight long sleeve hooded rain suit and a welding apron to keep it off my cloths and chair. Some sort of respirator or at least a dust mask and goggles are a good idea. The cf sheets are still kind of pricy but you can get the shape you want in carbon fiber for the same or less than an aluminum factory part and for me it was mostly cosmetic. If not for that some of the iron distributors have or can get aluminum sheets for quite a bit less. One I stoped at had a scrap 4'x4' sheet for $10 if you hunt around. I used the matte finish because it is supost to be more scratch resistant but for what I used it for and the ruff finish I wish I would have just got the smooth clear finish. I'm just getting back into fab. and am just learning but let me know of anybody has any questions.

Carbon fiber, you will cut yourself to pieces without that cover. I have the CF on the chair I just got. The edge cover goes completely around the guard.