Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: cholecystitis = gall bladder removal?

cholecystitis = gall bladder removal?

Or can it be treated with antibiotics?

Seems like they want to go that route first. but from what I've been reading most sci patients just go ahead and get it removed. Personally id rather keep all my organs.

Antibiotics can do the trick right? And what exactly causes the gall bladder to get inflamed other than greasy foods?

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    You don't need it why not just have it removed especially if it is causing issues.
    Because if some pills can fix the problem id rather save the pain, surgery and money?

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    You will be on pills probally the rest of your life how much money are you going to save then? And come to think about it I don't even think it can be treated without surgery. Here is a good website regarding it. Says antibiotics to treat infection but eventually surgery will be needed to remove the gall bladder.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001310/
    If I have to get obv I will. basically I'm seeing if the surgery can be avoided. I'm also shocked this wasn't caught while I was in the US 2 months ago and had 10 tubes of blood and Damn near every test done and nothing. I was fresh off antibiotics a month prior maybe that's why the blood test was clear. however he didn't catch the stone via ultra. 2 months later and all this comes to light while in Asia.

I just called my doctor to go over the tests and scans again.

If its surgery I have to fly back last min which disrupts alot. so I have to be very sure a removal is needed. its not as simple as hop skipping to my local urgent care and being back at home all cozy 6 hours later.

Hi Imight
    My mom had hers removed a few yrs back She regret's it but that's her opinion .

I hope you can keep yours just thinking of surgery is scary to me plus all the travelling and stuff seems like a problem .

As for being on Antibiotics for rest of your life is possibly not true because you are a very determined strong person . Maybe there is possibly dietary alternatives .

Wishing you the best
    Alway's
    GL

Have a good day
    Wishing you the best

Mark, if you aren't having any pain or problems, you can wait to have it removed till your back in the states. I had mine removed when my doctors finally discovered it was my gallbladder that was giving me accidents especially after eating greasy foods. I could have opted to not get the surgery cuz it wasn't life or death, but I electively had it removed cuz I didn't want to have any problems later. I think the only time they advise having it removed is if its infected. While in China, avoid the foods that trigger the symptoms.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Man, I'm really sorry to hear you're faced with this decision! Stones in the gallbladder can lead to infection, and sometimes when that happens, doctors admit a person to the hospital for IV antibiotics before going ahead with surgery; this conservative approach, on its own, can alleviate symptoms in mild cases, and some people end up not needing surgery - though most do, eventually. My understanding is that people with SCI have a high incidence of cholecystitis and recurrence, so the usual recommendation (in the US, anyway) is to remove the gallbladder. Hopefully, one of the SCI nurses will chime in on this.

Other things (besides stones) that can cause inflammation of the gallbladder include trauma, tumors/polyps and scarring. Cholecystitis can have serious consequences in terms of escalating infection and possible rupture, so if you opt not to have surgery at this time, you and your doctor will need to keep a close watch on your condition.

I can certainly understand your preference for taking the conservative route, if possible (especially since this is what your local doctor recommends) - and, as wtf says, antibiotic treatment might give you space for decision-making about future surgery.

Best wishes with this. Like you, I wonder why this wasn't caught earlier, when you were examined over here.

Good to know antibiotics can slow it down. do you guys know if it can cure it? At least for now? I know the 1 stone (which is still tiny) plus spasm is going to cause irritation and possible inflammation later. I just want this pain to go away I've had pain in mu stomach for how long now? God.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Mark, if you aren't having any pain or problems, you can wait to have it removed till your back in the states. I had mine removed when my doctors finally discovered it was my gallbladder that was giving me accidents especially after eating greasy foods..
    Yea I'm feeling a lot of pain. while I was in the US they find nothing. he said it was gas. I was using gasx and felt way better but it was only temp relief so I had to take it 3 times a day. now its finished and the pain seems worse. I got real light headed and almost passed out doing my bm. that's when I went in and found out all the problems. I'm eagerly waiting for my doctor to call my skype and see if perhaps he just overlooked things looking for other organ issues. if he sees it and says it is needed - I'll be heading back asap.

If you do need to have it removed, having it removed laproscopically is the best way to remove it. I'm sure they'll also check your gallbladder and liver for cancer too. Feel better Mark. Do you have any of your females taking care of you?
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Nope. I'm alone. its holiday season everyone is gone. I've been going to the doctor solo style.

I hope its not serious. I just think its swollen from irritation. the blood tests would be spiking if it were serious I think. but we'll see.

my hope is antibiotics stops the pain rids the swelling and I can get a form of gasx to prevent bloating and irritating it again