Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rule for Handicapped Placards in NJ

New Rule for Handicapped Placards in NJ

1/16/13

NJ enacts new rule for handicapped placards

TRENTON — A new state law will require motorists to renew handicap parking placards.

Gov. Chris Christie on Monday signed the measure, which included several South Jersey legislators among its sponsors.
    Under the previous law, handicap placards had no expiration date. As a result, people who received a tag while temporarily disabled could continue to use the tag when it was no longer needed.
    But the new measure requires permanent-disability windshield placards to be renewed every three years, the bill’s sponsors noted. Placards now in use are to be replaced over a three-year period.

The bill’s sponsors included Assemblymen John J. Burzichelli, D-Gloucester,

Types of disabled parking placards in California

Types of DP Parking Placards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles in California

Permanent parking placard for permanent disabilities. Valid for two years and expires on June 30 of every odd-numbered year.
    Temporary parking placard for temporary disabilities. Valid for up to 180 days (six months) or the date noted by your qualifying licensed medical professional on the application, whichever timeframe is less and cannot be renewed more than six times consecutively.
    Travel parking placard for California residents who currently have a permanent DP parking placard or DP or DV license plates. Valid for 30 days from the date DMV issues it.
    Travel parking placard for nonresidents who plan to travel in California and have a permanent disability and/or DV plates. Valid for up to 90 days or the date noted by your licensed medical professional on the application, whichever timeframe is less.

All the best,
    GJ

What needs to be done is issue "wheelchair" placards which can only park in spaces that have the extra stripped area on side of space for ramp access. Then have regular placards that can park in reg sized handicapped spaces which alot of places have. I hate when there are no ramp access spaces and i see someone walk out to their car in a spot that has the extra area and you cant tell anything is wrong with them...
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Quote Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
    What needs to be done is issue "wheelchair" placards which can only park in spaces that have the extra stripped area on side of space for ramp access. Then have regular placards that can park in reg sized handicapped spaces which alot of places have. I hate when there are no ramp access spaces and i see someone walk out to their car in a spot that has the extra area and you cant tell anything is wrong with them...
    Oregon has different colored wheelchair only placards. All placards have an expiration date and have to be renewed when the user renews his/her drivers license. We don't have a temp card. A faker can use their card for eight years before it has to be renewed.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I agree.

Education of existing placard holders would go a long way. I was a "walking" handicap placard user about ten years before become so paralyzed I needed a wheelchair. I only used the HC spaces when I needed them, but honestly which space I used did not cross my mind. Now it is a different matter. I always look for the hc stalls and have to carefully park in order to insure being able to get back in the van. Or I park elsewhere. I don't have the added issue of needing eight feet on the side.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    I don't use a placard, I get a permanent license plate, why fool with a placard? The only time I use the spot is if it's cold as heck or raining hard. I tired of renewing them year one in TX. If you don't because you want to have a vanity plate, thennnnn you must be driving t00 sl0w

Oh, I can't walk away w/o the obvious cheap shot ...

"Types of DP Parking Placards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles in California

Permanent parking placard for permanent disabilities. Valid for two years and expires on June 30 of every odd-numbered year."
    Wanna giant shrimp in a plastic glass with that permanent placard?

>that's your government<
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 01-18-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: I wanted to exercise my right to do so before your government TRIES to takes it from me.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Education of existing placard holders would go a long way. I was a "walking" handicap placard user about ten years before become so paralyzed I needed a wheelchair. I only used the HC spaces when I needed them, but honestly which space I used did not cross my mind. Now it is a different matter. I always look for the hc stalls and have to carefully park in order to insure being able to get back in the van. Or I park elsewhere. I don't have the added issue of needing eight feet on the side.
    I think education would help a lot, especially with those that park IN the crosshatching thinking its ok to use it as an extra space when all are taken.

But there are also more than just wheelchairs as reasons to need extra space, there are other types of mobility equipment or needing space to unload service animals.

I was also a walking placard user for years. I started out only using the placard on days I absolutely needed it, if there was a close space available I'd take that instead of the HC one, and I'd avoid the "van" spaces since I didn't need them. Its funny now, because the wheelchair allows me to be able to make it further to physically gain access to a business, but theres the different concern of room to load the wheelchair and making it safely through a parking lot without being hit by a car. I still try to avoid the van spaces if I can and am in a vehicle with my chair loaded in the back and not having to deal with loading from the side.

I went on a date tonight, and we had to pick a different restaurant due to not finding parking. All of the handicap spaces were taken (including 2 by vehicles with no placard or plate, we briefly considered calling the cops and waiting) and the lot was completely packed as far as non handicap spaces. But even if one had been open, they were so narrow we wouldn't have been able to get my chair out of the car while in the space. So we ended up finding another restaurant that had some open HC spaces.

I have a "permanent" placard since I have a permanent progressive disability, but it still has to be replaced/renewed every few years. They expire on your birthday of the given year. My date mentioned recently seeing some placards that were marked "no expiration" lately and said it was strange that mine wasn't. I said I'd noticed that too, and thought maybe they were for the elderly that might die prior or soon after the given expiration year. He said mine should be no expiration, but I said I'd rather they expire because then when a placard is stolen at least it expires after a given period of time! I don't like the idea of a real no expiration placard. I've already had 3 stolen in the past few years.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 01-19-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Violators must be harshly punished, and the reporting process should be made easier with todays instant technology. If violators get caught easily and punished hard the abuse will end quickly. It take political will where there is little.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Why are so many HP parking permits given to people who don't need them? I think the doctors believe that their responsibility starts and ends with medicine and social and ethical responsibilities falls on the patient. Therefore they hand out the HP parking permits to any patient who claims to have a need with the expectation that the patient won't abuse it. Obviously this isn't working well.

I know this one girl who dances all night l long and parks in HP parking. She says she has back aches. Don't half (or more) of all people have back aches? Common sense says that if she can dance for 3 hours inside the building, she can walk another minute outside the building to get to a regular spot. Ridiculous.

I use a wheelchair and I need the spot because I need the clearance to swing my door all the way open to get my wheelchair in/out of the car. Even then I leave the HP spot open if another spot works for me. One time, this same girl was in my car when i was taking the spot next to the HP spot in order to leave the HP spot open. She said to me, "Why aren't you taking the HP Spot? You are entitled." And there in a nutshell is the problem. In her mind it wasn't about me needing the spot. It was about entitlement. Well I guess every prima donna feels entitled, no?
    Last edited by Axle; 01-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.