Thread: Has anyone had an intrastim device placed?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Has anyone had an intrastim device placed?

So, at my urologist today, she started talking to me about possibly trying an intrastim. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and what the outcome was. I read a little bit about it and it said that people with overactive bladder had good results but nothing about the SCI population etc... Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

My urologist wanted me to start the testing for it, but when I was told about the marginal short term success rate, I passed on it. This was a couple years ago, so I haven't heard much about it since. I'm curious as well of anyone's results.

It is only used for selected few of people more commonly and underactive bladder- not areflexic but low amplutide bladder to make it stronger. An overactive bladder is already havig a high pressure contraction too often. But we haven't used on but one patient in over 5 years.Called the "bladder pacemaker"
    I think there are some it would help on but not all with SCI. Research continues.
    CWO

Our Urologist brought it up once and was eager to try. He was quoting some success he had with other patients who weren't SCI patients. The data is also not great for SCI and it is not currently recommended for SCI. Our physiatrist was not encouraging.

I don't recall anyone on this site having any success, but at least one or two people tried it (the initial less invasive trial period... I forget the details) and it didn't work, so they didn't have it implanted.'

Also I think insurance coverage might be a problem for most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    I passed trials and it actually worked on me about a year then it was like a light switch and one day it was fine and the next it didn't work at all turned it off completely and had them take it out a year later. Again my suggestion is DO NOT DO IT!!!

Interesting..... Did the doc think that your bladder/nerves just stopped responding to it, or did the stimulator actually break?