Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-Efficiency Mini Split Heat Pumps

High-Efficiency Mini Split Heat Pumps

Started evaluating a secondary heat source to take care of me when I get that awful quad chill and was amazed by the energy efficiency/cost savings of the new inverter driven ductless heat pumps. Did a few calculations on one of the new Fujitsu 15RLS2 units and couldn't believe it put out the same amount of heat as a gallon of #2 heating oil for less than a third the price.

Wrote an article detailing my calculations/thoughts at the link below:
    Fujitsu Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pumps

I will be calling my contractor in just a few minutes to order it. Might be a good solution for some of you who'd like to save money/electricity and increase comfort.

I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

I have one of these systems, a dual head, and am on the fence about its performance. As long it is between 40° F and 80° F ambient it does ok, outside that range they can't keep up in my house. I just got 8" of insulation blown in my attic, hoping that increases the useful range of the mini split.

That’s interesting… if not a bit disheartening, since the primary times I’ll be using it will be below 40°F. What brand/how many BTUs is yours? Supposedly this new Fujitsu unit is supposed to have a far more linear slope down to -10°F.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad

I have one, in my living room, it's 20x25, 15' of it is floor to ceiling glass, even the roof (greenhouse) I couldn't believe how well it works, and cheap too! I put one in my fathers upstairs. Living room 20x30 cathedral ceiling, and bedroom 25x12 and he was shocked at how cheap it was to heat and AC. He than put one down in the dinning room and another in the lower living room, kitchen. He hates the oil burner now. Get the latest one, don't get a leftover deal they are getting better all the time. We have 4 Fujitsu's

Quote Originally Posted by Chassmain View Post
    That’s interesting… if not a bit disheartening, since the primary times I’ll be using it will be below 40°F. What brand/how many BTUs is yours? Supposedly this new Fujitsu unit is supposed to have a far more linear slope down to -10°F.
    Efficiency drops considerably along with outside temperature. I'd seriously doubt any air source heat pump can beat straight electric resistance heating below 20 degrees. If you want winter season HP efficiency you need geo exchange system.

I have a 24,000 BTU dual zone system, aFujitsu AOU24RLXFZ outdoor unit (my eyes aren't good enough to read the indoor head model numbers). My house is about 1800 sq.ft., has 8 ft. ceilings, and I can only block off about 300 sq.ft. so I am undersized considerably. I'm considering adding an evaporative cooler next summer, the Fujitsu mini-split will help dry the air as they cool it in conjunction with the swamp cooler.

Al, very good to know they’re working great for you! Although I admit/realize that operating in Northern Maine may be a fair bit more challenging.

From what I’ve read about these Fujitsu’s from both of their website and independent testing labs is they still put out double the BTUs per watt of standard electrical resistance heaters all the way down to -10° below zero. Many experts compare the efficiency of these Fujitsu air to air heat pumps to that of geothermal except under extreme cold. If the real world holds up to all these claims/hype then they’re really a good investment. I’ll be sure to track the numbers in the coming months and write all about the outcome/my thoughts on my website.

It's 15* out now, and this thing is still cranking heat like crazy, serious heat too, so much that #1 moron is going to skid across the 3" of snow and ice, brave the deer in the back and use the hot tub. I'm not a well person..........

Wonder how the heat pump/person skidding across the snow would have been faring here last night when it hit -28°F!!! My two friends that have similar units to what I just purchased said there's shut off around -14°F.

IF, IT EVER gets to -14 here, I'm going south! Single digits, and a few degrees of minus is alls I can take anymore, no wanna, no way! Those figures are fun to look at on paper ONLY! I used to ski a lot prior, now, no desire, I catch fire and that's bad enough, I've got frost bite damage from years back as an AB, I'll stick to the pyrotechnics now.