Thread: Going kayaking in Alaska

Going kayaking in Alaska

I'm T7 complete and I'm planning an adventure cruise on a very small ship in Glacier Bay. We kayak each day in the inlets up close to the glaciers.

The ship is called the Sea Wolf, it's fitted out to wheelchair friendly standards and has a hoist to lower you down and in to your kayak. The operators of the ship are experienced at dealing with SCI passengers.

I've never been kayaking before and am busy building up my strength and fitness. The trip is in August.

I'd love some advice from anyone, especially if you are complete.

Lucky you

I spent a week kayaking in this area about 10 years ago, as an AB. It was in the top few best vacations of my life (and we've had adventure trips all over the world.) We kayaked island to island and slept on the beaches, but the high points were on the water, out there with the whales, sea lions, seals, and everything else. Waking up at daylight, 4am, and hearing the whales breathe off in the distance is a magical experience. Dress warmly, expect some bugs, and don't ask the guide how far above sea level you are.
    I'm thrilled to read your post--I didn't know this was possible for us crips. (I'm 26 months into the wonderful world of wheelchairs.) After sending this message I'll be looking into whether I can do this myself. As a C-7 quad, it will be a challenge. Thank you.

Sounds like hella fun! Take loads of pictures!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

No specific advice. Just chiming in to say I love Alaska and the type of trip you are planning is amazing. Alaska is awesome.

Even in August, plan for potentially cold and wet weather.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Just so others can see. This is not your average cruise ship.

http://www.seawolfadventures.net/PICASSA/Index.html
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Thanks for your responses. The Sea Wolf is a beautiful little ship, the website is great, it's how I found out about the trip.
    You bet I'll be taking many photos, I hope they are the quality of arndog's.
    The kayaks pictured on the website appear quite sturdy, suits me, being a novice paddler.
    I'm planning on buying some suitable paddling pants and a good jacket.