Thread: Knocking On 20

Knocking On 20

Nowhere near many members as far as time in a chair goes here but:

May 17th, 2013 will mark 20 years in a chair, 20 years not day. Not figuring in the infant days of not walking or the late teen days that alcohol impaired my ability to walk a few times also. It is 122 days away. Not sure what to do.

Just make it another day or have a party to celebrate 20 years??

July 4th will mark the 20th anniversary of my accident. Here is a picture of the pool that got me. I take fault but two factor's got me, the beer I consumed and the ladder to get out that you see was on the shallow end.

Attachment 48081

There were a bunch of factor's going on with me at that time in my life that could have swayed the outcome of where I ended up that day but with what I have now (3 kids and their mother) I choose not to what if anymore.

Twenty's tough. Two decades. More than half your life probaby.

Trip? Extreme sport? What would you like to do that didn't seem possible?

So many choices now than 20yrs ago as we both know.

And congrats on surviving, thriving and reproducing! lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    March 7th will be my 20th, and at this point in my life it will probably be just another day. First year anniversary was probably the only one that I really agonized over. Much of the day was spent in "A year ago today at this time I could still..." By the second year, I had come a long way in accepting my situation. I've actually forgotten what day it was and missed 3 or 4 anniversaries in the past 10 or 12 years.

I was 46, I'll have to live to 92 to make it half my life - fat chance
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

October 4th this year will be my 20th.

Why are you asking us what you should do? Ask yourself what it means to you. Are you still mourning your loss? Are you happy you're still alive? Have you moved on? That should answer your question.

My life is full enough I don't even notice it anymore. Oct 4 comes and goes and I rarely realize it until a few days later.

Blog Entries

Angry Earning your 20 year pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Skogy View Post
    Nowhere near many members as far as time in a chair goes here but:

May 17th, 2013 will mark 20 years in a chair, 20 years not day. Not figuring in the infant days of not walking or the late teen days that alcohol impaired my ability to walk a few times also. It is 122 days away. Not sure what to do.

Just make it another day or have a party to celebrate 20

There were a bunch of factor's going on with me at that time in my life that could have swayed the outcome of where I ended up that day but with what I have now (3 kids and their mother) I choose not to what if anymore.
    20 years? God bless, that's no small feat. I just rolled past my 10 year mark several months ago, a feat I'd never thought I'd make it to. No more "what ifs" I got to look forward to when I reach the 20 mark? Nah, I think my life will always be full of them.
    That's the pool that did it?
    Yes, one assumes the ladder would be found on the deep-end, along with appropriate deck
    markings, and absence of which I hope helped cloth and feed those cute little rug rats I see in your picture.
    Celebrate or not? Depends if you consider getting goodly sowsed and emptying the resultant yellow urea substance from your leg bag into the shallow end, rises to the level of a celebration....or not.

July 4th will be my31st.

rip? Extreme sport? What would you like to do that didn't seem possible?
    I have been toying with getting on a catamaran again. I spent several summers as a kid sailing one. As a kid it was fun to invite friends out "sailing", it was hard to convince them it would be fun, I enjoyed seeing their eyes about pop out when they realized how fast the boat went and how fun it was . No one forgot the experience.

Are you still mourning your loss? Are you happy you're still alive? Have you moved on?
    No, no mourning. Very happy as a whole, everyone in the house has a cold or influenza right now, it's trying but that's about it. I hope I have moved on, besides my kids, my wife, my health and my business. I don't know how much more I can move on.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    July 4th will be my31st.
    Wow!! Hope I hit that one....

Quote Originally Posted by Skogy View Post
    I have been toying with getting on a catamaran again. I spent several summers as a kid sailing one. As a kid it was fun to invite friends out "sailing", it was hard to convince them it would be fun, I enjoyed seeing their eyes about pop out when they realized how fast the boat went and how fun it was . No one forgot the experience.

No, no mourning. Very happy as a whole, everyone in the house has a cold or influenza right now, it's trying but that's about it. I hope I have moved on, besides my kids, my wife, my health and my business. I don't know how much more I can move on.
    So I think you answered your own question. The only one I have celebrated was my 20th. I tried to do it like my 40th birthday except without the alcohol. The next year was my half life...I was 21 when injured. I let the rest all just slide by without notice.

Get that catamaran and take your kids. Make it a celebrate life trip. Having a meaningful life with SCI truly is an accomplishment. In today's world, even the able bodied can rarely celebrate what you have.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    20 years? God bless, that's no small feat. I just rolled past my 10 year mark several months ago, a feat I'd never thought I'd make it to. No more "what ifs" I got to look forward to when I reach the 20 mark? Nah, I think my life will always be full of them.
    That's the pool that did it?
    Yes, one assumes the ladder would be found on the deep-end, along with appropriate deck
    markings, and absence of which I hope helped cloth and feed those cute little rug rats I see in your picture.
    Celebrate or not? Depends if you consider getting goodly sowsed and emptying the resultant yellow urea substance from your leg bag into the shallow end, rises to the level of a celebration....or not.
    awesome ..