Thread: Kicking Ass (literally)

Kicking Ass (literally)

So, I've heard of "adaptive self defense classes" but does anyone know of adaptive fighting classes? I'm a T-10 with fairly decent abdominal strength and I've kicked ass with just my upper body (oh, yeah also I'm a chick). But I'm not confident in my ability to, say, take down a 200 pound able bodied man and F**K his ass up if need be; I've been in situations where I really needed to be able to do that, not just defend myself and run, but to hold my ground and hurt someone (in the past it's been for hurting me and there was no where to run to anyway).

Cat-fighting is one thing, I have working arms and a brain so I'm fine at that, only if ABsolutely necessary OF COURSE . I read an article on W/C self defense online, but I want to be able to take it to the next level. I've been taught a few boxing moves at the gym by a friend but nothing that I'm sure would be able to stop a 200 pound guy coming at me...

Anyone know of classes like this in the So. Cal area?
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

I think combat training would be great exercise and may in fact come in handy if faced by a threat. But really, let's be honest, the only way you or anyone else who uses a chair could take on a 200 lb able bodied person consistently is with a .357.

It never hurts to train for it though and you will be more capable if it ever does happen because you do. I wouldn't mess with you. That's for sure.

I would focus my training on how to avoid troublesome 200lb men.

I 2nd the .357 idea as well.

definitely ALL for the .357. even applied for a concealed weapons permit. Even if I have to bludgeon a 200 pound guy with it I wanna b able to tackle the mo fo DOWN

If you're considering carrying a firearm you need to be prepared to use it. If you're not okay with the idea of shooting and potentially killing a person you shouldn't carry a gun. Odds are that it would be fired well before any successful bludgeoning would occur. If he's close enough for you to hit him with it then he's close enough to grab it from your hand.

I'm all for personal protection, just be sure you think it though first.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    If you're considering carrying a firearm you need to be prepared to use it. If you're not okay with the idea of shooting and potentially killing a person you shouldn't carry a gun. Odds are that it would be fired well before any successful bludgeoning would occur. If he's close enough for you to hit him with it then he's close enough to grab it from your hand.

I'm all for personal protection, just be sure you think it though first.
    Good advice definitely. I've had to point a gun at someone's head only once before and was very sorry I didn't pull the trigger; I know that probably sounds bad but what resulted from not pulling that trigger ... has made me a victim ever since and I never want to be a victim again. self defense would always be my first choice given the option but it never has been in the past so I' d like to learn how to um...prevent myself from being victimized ever again.

The cycle of victimization is a vicious one; when you' 're a victim once it's hard to know how to keep from being one again. And personally i feel that if it came down to self defense then you''re already too close to becoming victimized. To close for my comfort anyway. I know that sounds like it conflicts with what I said about choosing self defense first but i don't mean for it to...sorry, it's hard to explain exactly what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by ButtMonkey View Post
    Good advice definitely. I've had to point a gun at someone's head only once before and was very sorry I didn't pull the trigger; I know that probably sounds bad but what resulted from not pulling that trigger ... has made me a victim ever since and I never want to be a victim again. self defense would always be my first choice given the option but it never has been in the past so I' d like to learn how to um...prevent myself from being victimized ever again.

The cycle of victimization is a vicious one; when you' 're a victim once it's hard to know how to keep from being one again. And personally i feel that if it came down to self defense then you''re already too close to becoming victimized. To close for my comfort anyway. I know that sounds like it conflicts with what I said about choosing self defense first but i don't mean for it to...sorry, it's hard to explain exactly what I mean...
    I like your attitude. More power to ya!