Thread: What issues can I expect with in-the-canal hearing aids?

What issues can I expect with in-the-canal hearing aids?

So my hearing loss due to neuromuscular disease has gotten to the point where I've been prescribed hearing aids, but before giving the audiologist the go-ahead on ITC style aids I wanted to check here to see if others with paralysis have any problems with other people putting hearing aids in your ears. The audiologist showed me how they mark the top to get them oriented and how to get them out, but I'm worried someone will be careless or too rough and shove them in my ears incorrectly. Should I request the BTE style instead, or would I have similar issues with those?

I'm completely new to all this hearing aid stuff and would welcome any advice, no matter how trivial.

The audiologist is recommending "Starkey Ignite" hearing aids, if anyone has experience with those. The brochure offers some neat features which look to be very useful for quadriplegics, such as a remote control for adjusting volume and wireless transmitters for media streaming and cell phone use. (Which are probably not covered by insurance!)
    Last edited by Soliloquy; 01-13-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Hopefully, someone will speak up. I don't know of anyone in your situation, sorry I can't be more helpful.
    CKF

Blog Entries
    I had the type that goes in the ear canal, but not far, like the one on the left, and it drove me crazy. It itched, made my ear sore, and whenever I chewed, it made my ears pop, because the air could not get past the hearing aid. I wore them only when I absolutely had to. Four years ago, I lost them, and replaced them with the type on the right. They are comfortable, easy to program (if your hearing profile changes), no problem when chewing, and I rarely notice them though I wear them every day.

Both types are easy to insert, but I think that my new ones are a bit easier, plus it is obvious which one goes in each ear. They are easier to clean, as the wax buildup is mostly on the black part, which is removable, and made of very soft rubber. If you have glasses or longish hair, they are nearly unnoticeable.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I've used hearing aids for a long time, ITE aids only for a very short time. I find that BTE aids are easier to insert, more durable and break down less due to moisture issues. The batteries also tend to be bigger and are easier to manipulate. In addition, more options tend to be available on BTE style aids such as a telecoil that can be used to couple to assistive listening systems for use with the phone. Most hearing aid manufacturers offer the option of a remote control.

There is a trial period on hearing aids. I believe it is 45 days in NY. You can return the hearing aids for refund or exchange for any reason. Have you considered asking the audiologist to bring in a few makes and models to try in the office before making a decision?

I forgot to add if aesthetics are a concern with BTE aids, match the casing to your hair instead of your skin tone. The are much less noticeable.