Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult stem cell application in spinal cord injury

Adult stem cell application in spinal cord injury

Interest is growing.

Schultz, SS (2005). Adult stem cell application in spinal cord injury. Curr Drug Targets. 6: 63-73. Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein School of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461, USA. sherrischultz5000@yahoo.com. The mechanical force incurred by spinal cord injury results in degenerative neural tissue damage beyond the site of initial injury. By nature, the central nervous system (CNS) does not regenerate itself. Cell therapy, in particular, stem cell implantation has become a possible solution for spinal cord injury. Embryonic stem cells and fetal stem cells are the forefathers of the field of stem cell therapy. Isolation and preparation of specific populations of adult stem cells have evolved to the point of stable, long-term culturing with the capability to differentiate into neural phenotypes from all three of the neural lineages: neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes. Thus, adult stem cells will transcend ethical concerns, technical difficulties, and probably immunorejection. A variety of adult stem cells have been implanted in a rat model of spinal cord injury, ranging from olfactory ensheathing cells, cultured spinal cord stem cells, bone marrow derived stem cells, dermis derived stem cells, and a few others. Although no definite decisions on which adult stem cells are most effective for this CNS injury, their ability to incorporate into the spinal cord, differentiate, and to improve locomotor recovery hold promise for a cure.

Dr. Young,

I wonder how this research parallels the ASC work done at Tulane? Any comment on how potentially effective ASC's could be in a chronic setting, or has this yet to be attempted in the lab?

Dr. Young,

Do you know where, in Canada, the most promising ASC Research is taking place? I'm thinking of doing my own little Walk-A-Thon and was wondering where the money would be best spent. So to speak. I am a C5/6 Quad as the result of a hockey injury in '93.

Thanks so much to all involved for creating this awesome community.

If your in the mood for some reading, my story is at:
    www.freewebs.com/questforthespinalinjurycure/

Sincerely,

A Canadian Friend.

Doug B.

For reesearch facilities there's ICORD. Also Maybe check out U of A, they just released a sudy Shown here. Other theen those...I don't know

Schmeky and DougB,

Bone marrow stem cells have been transplanted into people with spinal cord injury at two places that I know:
    • Dr. Tarciscio Barros at the University of Sao Paulo in Brazil has transplanted autologous bone marrow stem cells to about 30 patients with chronic spinal cord injury.
    • Dr. Yong-Fu Zhang in Zhengzhou at the Henan Province People's Hospital has transplanted autologous bone marrow stem cells into about 180 people with stroke and spinal cord injury.

In Italy, there was a report of bone marrow stem cells being used in patients with ALS. Likewise, I have heard that a hospital in Nanjing has transplanted bone marrow stem cells into about 90 patients with ALS.

So far, to my knowledge, none of the groups have reported spectacular improvements although the Barros group has described some improvements in the patients with chronic spinal cord injury.

Dr. Darwin Prockop in Tulane has been trying to organize a bone marrow stem cell transplant trial in the United States. I haven't spoken for several months and do not know the current status of that trial.

Wise.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wise Young:

Schmeky and DougB,

Bone marrow stem cells have been transplanted into people with spinal cord injury at two places that I know:
    • Dr. Tarciscio Barros at the University of Sao Paulo in Brazil has transplanted autologous bone marrow stem cells to about 30 patients with chronic spinal cord injury.
    • Dr. Yong-Fu Zhang in Zhengzhou at the Henan Province People's Hospital has transplanted autologous bone marrow stem cells into about 180 people with stroke and spinal cord injury.

In Italy, there was a report of bone marrow stem cells being used in patients with ALS. Likewise, I have heard that a hospital in Nanjing has transplanted bone marrow stem cells into about 90 patients with ALS.

So far, to my knowledge, none of the groups have reported spectacular improvements although the Barros group has described some improvements in the patients with chronic spinal cord injury.

Dr. Darwin Prockop in Tulane has been trying to organize a bone marrow stem cell transplant trial in the United States. I haven't spoken for several months and do not know the current status of that trial.
    Professor Karahan from Russia gave a lecture here in Cyprus and he stated that at NeuroVita Clinic in Moskow they are injecting bone marrow to the spinal cord. They are repeating injections every three months.He said that they are using two methods. The other one is transplanting cells from the nose.One method (I dont remember wich) he said they applied for 6 patients and the other for 16. He said that they have very good results and that they will announce this in March.

Thanks, Panayiotis. Wise.

Thanks Panayiotis,

Keep us posted. It has been difficult to get reliable information from Russia, however, our friend Max, has been an excellent conduit to this region.

Published results are ultimately what we need.

Wise,
    Has anyone tried BRDU incubated autologous bone marrow stem cells in the human spinal cord?
    Thank you,
    Papajoe

papajoe,

Many researchers have used BRDU to label cells that they have transplanted. However, I don't think that BRDU treated bone marrow cells have been tried in humans.

Wise.