Thread: Do I belong here?

Do I belong here?

Hi, I have been lurking on this forum for a few months now and wanted to introduce myself. Had a fusion at L5/S1 due to sciatic pain and numbness in right leg. A year later my hardware was removed due to excessive pain in that area. During that surgery dura was ripped at a number of area where screws had been touching it. Area was repaired but ended up having 3 more surgeries to remove CSF cysts and repair dura again. During last surgery was told that my entire Cauda Equina area was covered in Arachnoiditis and there was nothing they could do about it. 3 months ago I was told I have Cauda Equina Syndrome, although it has not affect my bowels yet.
    Due to severe pain in my lower back, buttocks and left leg I am unable to walk or stand for more than 15 mins. Sitting is only possible for about 2 hours if I take additional medication to my daily ER meds. I spend most of my day laying on the couch reading. I'm starting to gain a lot of weight due to inactivity and that is really frustrating for me.
    I feel so very lucky that I am able to walk, stand and move about, yet any time I do something I end up laying down again because the pain is to bad. I want to do exercises but end up having a flare if my PT has be do any stretching or strengthning for my legs. I can't go out on my own due to a rotator cuff injury so I can't push my own wheelchair. I've read that so many of you are also in pain and the meds don't help either. I have a wonderful husband who supports me in any way he can, but i've lost most of my friends because of this. Do I really belong in a SCI group?

Welcome I believe you qualify. I also have ces, so if not we can leave together. From what I've learned here, we don't have a spinal cord injury, rather an injury to spinal cord roots (nerves). Sorry you have to join, but you can learn a ton here.
    Last edited by lonecoaster; 01-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Welcome, sorry about the problems

Blog Entries
    Do I belong here?

LadyT:
    >Nobody belongs here. This is just a place where the inflicted come to commiserate and learn how to cope. Some even find hope, wherein most all of us won't deny we came in search of it. Ultimately, they decided this place was just comfortable enough to stay.