Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GUTHRIE (12 YEAR OLD IS BACK FROM CHINA)

GUTHRIE (12 YEAR OLD IS BACK FROM CHINA)

Wow. What a trip. After flying for 13 hours, we landed in Beijing. Two drivers from West Hill Hospital was there to pick us up who did not speak english. He held a sign. They loaded my son's wheelchair in the van and put him in a car. I was praying they knew where we were going. We arrived at an old hospital with green tarp doors. Two nurses came out wearing white coats and little white hats held to their heads by bobby-pins (like in the olden days) to greet us who also spoke no english. I was trying to tell them that we were supposed to be in the new hospital. This was very old. That night the rooms were filled so we stayed at the hotel in the back. The little rooms had twin beds. Very hard and pillows filled with rice. We were so tired, it did not matter. Finally we had one of the drivers to call Nurse Bird. She was off that night, but came to see us at the hotel. Yeah, she spoke english. Guess what? We were in the right place. The next morning we moved into the hospital on the first floor. The rooms had high ceilings and space heaters. The toilets had no water. The food taste the same no matter what you ordered. They renovated a new wing on the third floor for the Neurological Center for Foreigners.

Due to the Chinese New Year, we waited on cells about two weeks. Guthrie's surgery was successful. The doctors and nurses there are very professional in everything they do. After Guthrie's surgery, he immediately started sweating behind his back. The next day he was able to move his right foot differently. He can move all toes on both feet. Right wrist he can almost twist back and forth. He can move his fingers with more strength on his right hand. Dr. Huang is wonderful doctor. He enjoyed Guthrie and my 7 year daughter. He has such a big heart for all his patients. Now, we are at home and I want to share some things with everyone from the USA wanting to travel to China for Dr. Huang's surgery.

1. TAKE ANY KIND OF FOOD YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON. COFFEE, GRITS, MAC N CHEESE, SALT, PEPPER, CANNED FOODS.
    2. BRING A CONVERTER FROM ALL YOUR ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES, HAIR DRYER, CURLING IRON, ETC.
    3. THEY DO HAVE NICE SHOWER CHAIRS. LOOKS LIKE A PATIO CHAIR WITH BICYCLE WHEELS. WORKS GREAT.
    4. CANNOT USE CREDIT CARDS TO PURCHASE THINGS NEAR THE HOSPITAL. THIS HOSPITAL IS 20 MINUTES FROM THE CITY OF BEIJING. NEED YUAN FOR THE FEW STORES THEY HAVE NEAR THE HOSPITAL.
    5. BRING LOTS OF DVD'S. WE WATCHED ABOUT 30 MOVIES WHILE WE WERE THERE OR YOU CAN PURCHASE THEM FOR AS LOW AS $.60 EACH. VERY CHEAP.

Any questions I can answer, I will be glad to.

For the next 6 months, we work hard in therapy and gather all the equipment we need for Guthrie to get him up and moving. He still wants to attend school, so we will work 3 hours in the morning per day.

The doctors and nurses taught me alot. After being in China, I learned to appreciate the little things that we have here in the US.

Good luck to you all and please keep Guthrie in your prays.

Thanks,

Mom#1

Thanks for posting Mom #1. I appreciate the information about the trip. What an adventure! Good luck to you and Guthrie. Please keep us posted.

John

"Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

mom#1, thanks so much for updating us. Wise.

This is such great news! Thanks for the added info on the hospital and local area.

For those unused to foreign travel a small converter works for electric appliances that do not have a motor. Hair dryers, unlike curling irons, need a full transformer and those are heavy! It would be easier to buy a dual voltage blow dryer here.

Mom, what kind of electrical outlets do they have? Round or slotted like ours? And will American DVDs work on Chinese machines? I know with VCRs we use the NCS1 and they use MESCAM I think.

Will Guthrie be having a MRI in the future to actually see these great changes or you just going with function tests? I am so excited for him!

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

I was wondering,, Who the hell lets there son ride a 3 wheeler since they was 4 years old ????????? those things are dangerous

Terrific news!
    We will be following Guthrie's continued progress!

Sue:

DVDs will work on any platform or computer. My son brought back lots of DVDs from China. They work ok, however, all are pirated copies and the quality is marginal.

JJG

Thanks for sharing your experience and best wishes for continued progress for Guthrie!

Is nurse bird a recent graduate who calls herself H bird? Best wishes on a good recovery.

Can someone tell me what level of injury Guthrie was?

MERCO