Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best older car for transfers

Best older car for transfers

The front of my wheelchair cushion from cushion to floor is 24 inches. I'm searching for a "cheap" older car just to get around in for short errands that is easy to transfer in and out of.

Suggestions?

I'm C6-7.

I think my vw golph 4 door was great because it sat low, doors are huge and open very wide. It was very easy to get in and out of.
    I slipped my quickie 2 behind me or in the passenger seat depending if I was alone or had the kids along. very easy to load groceries in the back from a chair.

This isn't bad, but I'm not sure where to put your chair.

Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

t-bird or chrystler convertable
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

One of the easiest cars to get in out of is a friend of mines Lincoln towne car. It is one he bought at an auction from a limo company for 4K. It has a lot of miles but runs great, looks cool and is easy to get in and out of.

I enjoyed my 2000 Honda accord. I gave it to my little sister a few years ago. It has 205,000 miles on it and its still rockin. It was easy to transfer and my chair fit great.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Blog Entries
    I had an '88 Lincoln that was OK, and then a couple of Taurus Wagons, a '94 and a '96. On all three, I got in on the passenger side, pulled off the wheels and put them oin ghe back seat, slid across to the drivers side and pulled in the chair frame behind me and belted it in to the passengers seat. After 6 or 7 years of that, I changed to a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan with a ramp and never looked back. I'm on my third van, a 2008.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

The sixth generation Honda Civics are well known for their reliability (1996-2000). I've owned both 2 door and 4 door versions. They served me well. The 2 door has the advantage of a wider opening but the bigger doors don't open as completely as the 2 door, so it's actually harder to get close to the seat because a wheelchair has to come at the opening at more of an angle than the 4 door.

The 4 door's door open at a greater angle but the opening is a little small. Despite that, even with my old Kuschall which had a 70 degree front frame that was 17" wide, I could get my chair in quickly.

I now own a 2007 Civic Coupe and the 2 door design is even harder to get a chair close to. The new Civic Coupes do have a passenger seat the slides forward when the back is released though. Lots of room to transfer a chair into the back seat. Note: the new coupes have less back seat room than the sedan, about 4 or 5 inches. And an inch or so less headroom.

Thanks for replies. My friend has an old station wagon with a huge bench seat but won't sell it to me. This gives me some more to search.

Have been thinking Lincoln too. Nice big boat.
    Last edited by ouch; 01-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.

The best ever car for transfers was the 1966 & 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado, which was a front-wheel two-door hardtop with a bench seat and with a perfectly flat floor from driver's side to passenger's side with massive room. Good luck finding that antique!
    Last edited by PaidMyDues; 01-11-2013 at 06:05 PM.