Thread: Probiotics & Prebiotics

Probiotics & Prebiotics

FYI - here!s a slide show on foods high in probiotics and Prebiotics that might be of interest.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...how-probiotics

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good probiotic supplement that will actually deliver beyond the acid in the stomach?

by the way, i found that inulin (found in some of the prebiotic foods) had a disasterous effect on me. I became very bloated, it stimulated my bowels too so I was experiencing AD until I could empty them, not good when you arecon a schedule. Inulin also supports healthy bacteria in your stomach and colon.

inulin is just bad. it's used as a fiber filler in many foods.
    i use nture's way primadolphilous optima and it works great! 14 strains of bacteria and well worth the money. i take it every other day to every 3 days.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Inulin

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    inulin is just bad. it's used as a fiber filler in many foods.
    i use nture's way primadolphilous optima and it works great! 14 strains of bacteria and well worth the money. i take it every other day to every 3 days.
    Yup! I found that even the smallest amount destroys me. I tried taking Fiber One supplements. I kept splitting the tablet and even 1/4 of a tablet had the same effect.

Wow this Primadophilus Optima is potent. Do you have to start out easy with it? I don't want any surprises!

The reviews on Amazon complained that if delivered without adequate refrigeration, the cells will be dead and worthless. Where did you get yours?

Enteric-coated Vcaps Plus NutraFlora scFOS For All Ages Fortify & Replenish Microflora with Primadophilus Optima the most potent (35 billion CFUs) and diverse (14 strains) delivery of probiotics for intestinal microflora. Why 14 probiotic strains? Like a fingerprint, each individual has a unique balance of strains in their microflora Primadophilus Optima provides a broad diversity of strains commonly found in the human digestive tract Each strain provides its own unique benefits Plus NutraFlora scFOS Unique "short-chain" form of FOS Preferred food source for microflora Promotes microflora growth & colonization* More effective than other FOS formsTrue Potency ensures 35 billion CFUs per capsule for the entire shelf life True Identity ensures only the strains listed on the label are found in the product True Release enteric-coating ensures stomach acid survival and intestinal delivery

Is your probiotic active?

I just found this test on the Internet to see if that expensive bottle is going to work?

Tools:
    2 liquid containers (clean yogurt cups, plastic cups, mugs, shallow bowls, whatever. Just make sure they are similar in size and shape.)
    1 cup of soy or regular milk.
    2-3 sample probiotic pills from your bottle.*

Instructions:
    Pour 1/2 cup of soy or regular milk in each container.
    Split open your pills and sprinkle the contents into ONE of the containers. Mix it well into the milk.
    Wait overnights, or roughly 8-10 hour to check the results.
    Results:
    If the milk containing the probitic curdles, clumps or firms, it is proven to be active. If the milk appears the same in both containers (watery and not curdled), you have an inactive bottle. Get your money back!

* Note: I used only 2 pills, and saw definite results. The original instructions say use 2-4 pills, but I think 2 should be enough. Less waste of expensive pills.

From Dr. Klaper's site, his instructions and explanation as to why this works:

" It is very important to be sure that the acidophilus product you are paying for and ingesting really contains live, beneficial bacteria. You can determine the "vitality" of your acidophilus product with a simple kitchen “experiment.” Start by pouring one cup of soy milk (cow’s milk will also work) into each of two small bowls and then stirring in one teaspoon of acidophilus powder (or the contents of 4-6 “Vegicaps”) into one of the bowls. Allow both bowls to sit out at room temperature overnight. When you examine the bowls in the morning, the milky contents should not look the same. Since Lactobacillus acidophilus is the bacteria that curdles milk, there should be signs of bacterial activity in the bowl containing the acidophilus - lumps of curdled soymilk, a film of yogurt, bubbles of carbon dioxide, etc. When you pour both bowls down the sink, if the physical characteristics of the white liquids appear to be the same, you have non-viable product and should get a fresh supply (or your money back). "

What Dr. Klaper has to say about probiotics:
    Dr. Klaper's TIPS:

*Acidophilus is best consumed before meals. (Less stomach acid to kill the bacteria)

*Modern Life puts stress on our digestive systems - everyone can benefit from a supplement. Modern Life stresses: chlorinated drinking water, alcoholic beverages, antibiotic-laced foods. Even a one to two-week course of acidophilus, several times per year.

*Products containing “mixed strain” acidophilus are best.

*Try to consume all of the product within a few weeks of purchase.

Dr. Klaper's website link.

i get mine at the store. this brand does well at room temp.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/