Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wireless microphone for Dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    I plug the base into a USB powered hub. You can also plug it directly into a USB port on your computer. I have been using this headset since 2008. Accuracy is excellent. Plantronics customer service/tech support is excellent. This headset has accidentally dropped five or six times without sustaining any damage whatsoever. It's like that Timex watch, "it takes a licking but it keeps on ticking."

The Jabra Pro 9470 looks pretty slick.
    I have a powered hub, and the computer ports. Is one option better than the other?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Got a figure out whether it's worth it to upgrade to the Dragon 12, Windows 8 and a new computer. Dragon 12 seems to have caught up with Gmail and Chrome, which are what I use. That cordless headset sounds like it may be worth it reinvesting.
    Definitely would suggest/say it’s worth it to upgrade to Dragon 12. There have been two rather complete and extensively rewrites of the software since version 9 resulting in significantly improved accuracy, less latency, and far less hangups. I can remember the days of Dragon 9.5/10 with the far too regular lockups/crashes of Microsoft Word/Outlook, having to reboot my computer multiple times per day, etc. Since installing version 12, can’t remember the last time my computer locked up.

I will say all is not perfect in the world of Dragon 12/Google Chrome and Gmail; there is still plenty of room to improve, but it is getting better. As a Google Chrome/Gmail user myself I still find myself going to Microsoft Outlook for my intense email sessions due to the better natural command integration.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I have a powered hub, and the computer ports. Is one option better than the other?
    The computer port is always the best way to go if you can. Just one less thing in the chain of electronics that can fail or mess up the signal.
    Last edited by Chassmain; 02-22-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

Turns out I bought the wrong thing. I bought the Plantronics CS50 Wireless Office System. The Firefox add-on Shoptimate showed me different prices for the same item elsewhere when I clicked on PN's link to the Amazon page. The lowest price was at Buy.com, so I clicked on that. As I've now discovered, it wasn't the same item, so I have to send it back, and order the right one. <sigh>
    Alan

Alan, sorry for the snafu. The Amazon customer reviews in aggregate can be helpful when making a purchase. More than one customer is using the Plantronics CS50-USB Wireless Headset with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Lesson learned.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chassmain View Post
    Definitely would suggest/say it’s worth it to upgrade to Dragon 12. There have been two rather complete and extensively rewrites of the software since version 9 resulting in significantly improved accuracy, less latency, and far less hangups. I can remember the days of Dragon 9.5/10 with the far too regular lockups/crashes of Microsoft Word/Outlook, having to reboot my computer multiple times per day, etc. Since installing version 12, can’t remember the last time my computer locked up.

I will say all is not perfect in the world of Dragon 12/Google Chrome and Gmail; there is still plenty of room to improve, but it is getting better. As a Google Chrome/Gmail user myself I still find myself going to Microsoft Outlook for my intense email sessions due to the better natural command integration.

The computer port is always the best way to go if you can. Just one less thing in the chain of electronics that can fail or mess up the signal.
    I have to disagree with you. DMPE 11.0 (the most recent available version) should never have been released. It has been plagued with a 5+ second latency when using the spell/correction box that never occurred with prior versions. This is a well-known problem that has been discussed on KnowBrainer forums. Accuracy also is worse. Nuance has turned a deaf ear to complaints and has no plans to rectify this.

Well you are comparing apples and oranges without offence and I don't want to defend dragon too much because there has never been a version with out numerous faults. Granted DMPE 11 has received some horrible feedback with many practitioners reverting to the previous version. As you know it has been constant whilst reading the Knowbrainer forum. However as far as Dragon 12 goes I think it is an improvement, but not so much in accuracy, more so in speed for me. One of the sad things about Dragon 12 is that while using 3rd party utilities such as ShowNumbersPlus, Freesr, Knowbrainer, voice computer etc. There is horrible latency but this is only when using BestMatch V which unfortunately Dragon defaults to when you are setting it up. So I was a little slow in upgrading Dragon this time and even had a trial run, but things are quicker only because I am using a BestMatch IV profile. I really don't think I would be too disappointed if I was still stuck on dragon 10.1 as it was as fast as 12 but not quite as accurate. Anyway for your sake let's hope the next release of DMPE is at least somewhat of an improvement over the last release. It's a shame because you guys have to pay a fortune for that software and it makes my professional upgrade look insignificant.

Hi,

I have been using Ipod touch and Iphone 4 with the wireless mic app for Dragon, and have fond it to work flawlessly.

They may have an android app also.

Hello, I was just going to post this question but see this thread! What is the best wireless to use with a laptop? Do you use it bluetooth or plug something in to your USB? Thanks everyone!

P.S. I still use my vxi wireless at work all the time with a "zoom switch" to switch between phone and dragon and love it!

Okay, I purchased and installed the Dragon 12 (and updated it to 12.5), along with the Plantronics wireless microphone. I'm getting somewhere with web browsing, but I haven't managed to post any emails with Thunderbird. If someone using Dragon with Thunderbird successfully? How about with OpenOffice? Can I post to web boards using Dragon? Any advice and tips and other programs that can be used with Dragon are greatly appreciated as I try to learn how to do all this at my advanced age <grin>.

Thank you.
    Alan

I use Dragon with OpenOffice (no issues) but not with Thunderbird.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com