Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: wireless microphone for Dragon?

wireless microphone for Dragon?

I've never used Dragon, but with the way my condition is deteriorating, I have to get it and start with it. Can it be used with some kind of wireless microphone? There's too much noise here for a desktop mic.

Thank you,
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Dragon can definitely be used with all sorts of wireless microphones. I choose to use a desktop microphone myself because I feel it's far more comfortable and easier for me to use with my minimal hand dexterity, but understand your need for noise cancellation.

Check out the Microphone Comparison page over at KnowBrainer. It'll quickly show you at a glance what possibilities are out there and which ones perform best in terms of accuracy, comfort, and noise cancellation. I've bought all my voice recognition software/hardware from them over the past 5 years and find the owner Lunis to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable getting me exactly what I need for my situation. Highly recommended!
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

Marty (emicrophones) and Lunis will compete against each other to get your business.

I use the Plantronics CS50-USB Wireless Headset for Dragon and Skype (headset). Plantronics also has very good tech support.

Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

PN, do you connect the base to your sound card?
    Alan

Been using one of the Jabra Pro 9470's over the last week myself, and can't get over the level of accuracy/versatility this wireless headset provides.

It plugs into your computer using USB, connects to a cell phone with Bluetooth, and plugs into a conventional telephone line.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad

Not sure if they still offer it but some versions of DNS included a Plantronics Calisto Bluetooth USB Headset. This is what I've been using on my desktop and laptop for a few years now with no complaints.
    Dan G. in CT

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    PN, do you connect the base to your sound card?
    I plug the base into a USB powered hub. You can also plug it directly into a USB port on your computer. I have been using this headset since 2008. Accuracy is excellent. Plantronics customer service/tech support is excellent. This headset has accidentally dropped five or six times without sustaining any damage whatsoever. It's like that Timex watch, "it takes a licking but it keeps on ticking."

The Jabra Pro 9470 looks pretty slick.
    Last edited by PN; 02-13-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post

I've been using this particular wireless microphone approximately 5 months and I like its versatility but there are a couple of issues I find. The boom is nonflexible and I don't think it is long enough, but I do dictate in a fairly noisy environment and I have a big head, or so I have been told. Even though I didn't have to pay for it the price in Australia is substantially cheaper than the offering of $499 from Knowbrainer I think. Don't really know why this is as from memory I think it was $330 from a company called Simply Headsets over here.

So the noise cancellation is the best I have had from a wireless headset microphone and to be quite honest once I went wireless I was never going back. I previously used the GN9330 from Jabra but it's noise cancellation properties were pretty abysmal. I don't have a cell phone but I use the Jabra GN 1000 handset lifter and I can answer the phone by voice by calling up the Jabra call manager software. Still can't hang up without touching the LCD screen. That's no big problem for me and it is good being able to answer the phone anywhere in the house.

Over at Knowbrainer they refer to the Samson airline 77 as being the most accurate and noise cancelling wireless headset but personally because it doesn't have speakers that is just a dealbreaker. There is no way I'm going to wear two sets of headsets.

So despite it being fairly expensive I am reasonably happy with my Jabra pro 9470 despite the boom not being long enough or flexible in my opinion.

I have tried quite a few headsets with Dragon NaturallySpeaking and I have no problems whatsoever with accuracy from any of them, it's just the noise cancellation properties that are most important from my perspective. Even some of the cheap microphones worked quite okay but one had to be in a quiet environment.

Cheers

Huge supporter of KnowBrainer here… they’re voice recognition experts that have always pointed me in the right direction and used me right. That said, I have a hard time spending $499 for the Jabra 9470 Pro when I can buy it for under $200 on eBay.

I’ve never had any problems with the length of the boom and the fact that it’s not flexible. Maybe I have an abnormally small head, but I really appreciated the lightweight non-intrusiveness of the headset. Definitely a strong recommendation from my end!

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    I plug the base into a USB powered hub. You can also plug it directly into a USB port on your computer. I have been using this headset since 2008. Accuracy is excellent. Plantronics customer service/tech support is excellent. This headset has accidentally dropped five or six times without sustaining any damage whatsoever. It's like that Timex watch, "it takes a licking but it keeps on ticking."

I don't need a USB sound adapter? Also, I've seen the Plantronics headset system, and the Plantronics headset bundle. Would it be the former I'd be looking to buy?
    Alan