Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Help needed for new 7 year old SCI

Urgent Help needed for new 7 year old SCI

Hi Folks

My heart is broken for this family in Utah whose 7 year old was injured on Sunday 1/6/2013. They are distraught and asking for advice I am sending them here for some more advice but in case he does not does anyone know of resources for kids with SCI. I have sent them to the Reeve Foundation and The Miami Project.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Please also give them the Shriner's SCI Centers as an invaluable resource for people with SCI. The closest to them would be the one in Sacramento, CA.

(KLD)

thanks
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

This is the dad's email if anyone else has information for him, he asked me to post it here

As KLD said: The Shriners is invaluable. They will provide care, rehab and equipment til he is 21 and possibly beyond if he is still in school then.

I've had two youngsters I mentored in their early years post SCI. We met with the Shriners locally and set up everything here. They both went to Sacramento.

Years later, mostly due to the Shriners help, they are both well, active and productive young adults. I am so proud of the two of them and am eternally grateful for what the Shriners did and continue to do for our young.

Quote Originally Posted by muskie View Post
    This is the dad's email if anyone else has information for him, he asked me to post it here
    The email address hasn't come out on your post...

I'm happy for him to PM me if he wants some general info/advice/help, but unfortunately can't assist in USA information, not being based anywhere near there...

You can also let him know that there are 4 or 5 parents of kids his age with mid-thoracic injuries who contribute here...we've probably all been through what he's going through now. Not good, but things will improve, particularly with the right attitude.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

7 year old son-- New injury

Recently (12-30-12) my 7 year old son was in a snowboarding accident near our home in Utah. He has been declared a T1 complete paraplegic. Another member here (Muskie) posted a few days ago on mine and my wife's behalf looking for any advice and information. I am now here making the same plea yet again. We are desperate for any tips or information that any of you have to offer. We have two other children as well and are at a loss as how to explain all of this to them. Our children are our lives and we want to make sure we are doing everything for all of them during this time. Thank you all in advance.

-David Hillis

David, I sent you a private message.

Jim

There is no way to sugar coat this: you and your family are in for a roller coaster ride. Emotions will run high, stress will be unbearable at times. Your focus will be on your injured son. I can't stress this enough: you need to pay close attention to your other 2 children. When my son was injured, my daughter was just about to graduate jr. High. She was totally shoved aside. We didn't mean to do that, it just happened. The whole sci thing is overwhelming. Our daughter survived. Did well in high school and graduated college last June. It's a tough road. Hopefully you have a good support network of family and friends. I wish you all the very best and Care Cure is a very good place for you to visit. There is a wealth of information here and it will become your "go to" place to vent and ask questions and get advice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidHillis View Post
    Recently (12-30-12) my 7 year old son was in a snowboarding accident near our home in Utah. He has been declared a T1 complete paraplegic. Another member here (Muskie) posted a few days ago on mine and my wife's behalf looking for any advice and information. I am now here making the same plea yet again. We are desperate for any tips or information that any of you have to offer. We have two other children as well and are at a loss as how to explain all of this to them. Our children are our lives and we want to make sure we are doing everything for all of them during this time. Thank you all in advance.

-David Hillis
    Shriners is a very good choice, Frazier in StLouis is among the best pediatric rehab centers, Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore is excellent. The Craig Center in Colorado is close to home but I don't believe they accept anyone under 17. Life goes on and regardless of return your son can live a full and exciting life. My son was injured 8/7/08 (C5/6 Asia a complete) at 14 years old. He graduated from High School with honors and is thriving in an Engineering program at college. He drives an adapted van and lives an active social life. He is one of the few who has not received any return of function. You can hope/expect return up to 2 years after injury.

Life does return to some sense of normalcy and with just a little luck your son can get return. Keep him active and take care of yourselves too.

If you send me a private message I'll be happy to give you my cell #.

Jim