Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat stomach

Flat stomach

Is is even possible for me to cut down the fat in my belly or to maintain a flat stomach? My stomach is getting rounder everyday. Would any excercise work?
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

6 packs are made in the kitchen not in the gym.

you want to burn fat, cadio >140 BPM HR 20 minutes a day.

flat stomach? no red meat, no cheese. Low cholesterol diet. The rest will come for free.

The quad corset or a compression garment helps to keep everything in place. When I don't wear them, my belly is like a sack of sugar - it just expands and expands and flows down to a big bump. Having this much of me at the low point greatly affects my center of gravity and my seating position. It also affects my breathing and posture. I wish I didn't need to wear a corset, but without it, I feel like a limp noodle and have a hard time with balance and pushing my chair.

Recently, I have discovered that much of my quad gut is from improper digestion. When I introduced digestive enzymes into my diet, there is less swelling. My stomach is flat when I wake up. I've just found that a good probiotic may also help in reducing the swelling. I am just starting a course so I don't have any results to share yet.

But definitely, diet makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post

flat stomach? no red meat, no cheese. Low cholesterol diet. The rest will come for free.
    How fast is 140 BPM?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Depends, if you have a "quad belly", the interior wall is stretched out and i dont think theres any going back... If you just have a belly from bad eating habits and no exercise and you have abdominal control, you can fix it.
    Yes you need to do alot of crunches, but you must eat good. NO sugars, NO sodas, cut out whites(white rice,bread,potatoes,pastas), replace with brown rice, sweet potatoe/yam, whole wheat bread, but still be moderate on your intake. A high protein diet, while proteins help build muscle, you will lose weight. Eat grilled chicken, tuna, salmon, fresh raw or steamed veggies(broccoli,asparagus), oatmeal for breakfast.
    Check my profile pics for a picture of my abs after 4 weeks of strict diet(not 1 sweet) and at least 400 crunches a day. It wasnt big before(wish i took a b4 pic), but it was quite a change. It is possible if you can do crunches as well as control your eating.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Quote Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
    Depends, if you have a "quad belly", the interior wall is stretched out and i dont think theres any going back... If you just have a belly from bad eating habits and no exercise and you have abdominal control, you can fix it.
    Yes you need to do alot of crunches, but you must eat good. NO sugars, NO sodas, cut out whites(white rice,bread,potatoes,pastas), replace with brown rice, sweet potatoe/yam, whole wheat bread, but still be moderate on your intake. A high protein diet, while proteins help build muscle, you will lose weight. Eat grilled chicken, tuna, salmon, fresh raw or steamed veggies(broccoli,asparagus), oatmeal for breakfast.
    Check my profile pics for a picture of my abs after 4 weeks of strict diet(not 1 sweet) and at least 400 crunches a day. It wasnt big before(wish i took a b4 pic), but it was quite a change. It is possible if you can do crunches as well as control your eating.
    What if I don't have abdominal control? Will the crunches still work? What level of injury are you?
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
    What if I don't have abdominal control? Will the crunches still work? What level of injury are you?
    I'D have to say no, how can you do a crunch without abdominal muscle control. Can you tighten/flex your stomach at all? When you lay flat on your back, can you lift head/shoulders at all? which would tighten abs.
    If not, the only thing i can think of would be to do some sort of e-stim on your ab muscles, but if you have no abdominal muscle control, going back to my first reply, i would then think your problem is "quad belly". which i dont think you can change. But thats more of a medical issue that im not 100% on, not really a fitness/diet issue.
    My level of injury is c4-c5. But don't go by me, I had a non traumatic injury. I had a bleed in my cervical column. My body is kinda split, my left side is almost normal, right side affected. I am able to do things probably most at my level cant-
    Last edited by roc21; 01-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post

I do not agree with this advice. There are two key dietary factors to getting into a low enough body fat % to see abs (and weight loss in general). Getting enough dietary protein (however you want to accomplish this, red meat, poultry, whey, cheese, casein, spinach, eggs, milk etc) to retain muscle mass and low enough calories.

To get enough dietary protein I would suggest approximately 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight, or around .85g/1lb of LEAN body mass if you are confident in your calculations.

Whether you do cardio or no is up to you. I think cardio is great for keeping your heart healthy but I don't think its a great tool for losing weight.

Quote Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
    First of all, mad respect to you, you look fantastic and you obviously keep yourself in good shape and eat a quality diet. However, I think you are also promoting some popular training myths. He is dead on regarding WHAT to eat, but the key for lowering weight and bf% is HOW MUCH to eat. Additionally, crunches do not help you develop a low body fat % which is the true key to 'a 6 pack.' Abdominal crunches and other 'core' strength exercises help increase STRENGTH but will not decrease your bf%.

I cannot comment about your level of injury, but that logic seems to be the consensus around here. That said, I have yet to see a person with a high level injury that has a low enough bf% to actually see if you can see abdominal muscles even if there is some shifting of organs, but I get the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    I do not agree with this advice. There are two key dietary factors to getting into a low enough body fat % to see abs (and weight loss in general). Getting enough dietary protein (however you want to accomplish this, red meat, poultry, whey, cheese, casein, spinach, eggs, milk etc) to retain muscle mass and low enough calories.

To get enough dietary protein I would suggest approximately 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight, or around .85g/1lb of LEAN body mass if you are confident in your calculations.

Whether you do cardio or no is up to you. I think cardio is great for keeping your heart healthy but I don't think its a great tool for losing weight.

First of all, mad respect to you, you look fantastic and you obviously keep yourself in good shape and eat a quality diet. However, I think you are also promoting some popular training myths. He is dead on regarding WHAT to eat, but the key for lowering weight and bf% is HOW MUCH to eat. Additionally, crunches do not help you develop a low body fat % which is the true key to 'a 6 pack.' Abdominal crunches and other 'core' strength exercises help increase STRENGTH but will not decrease your bf%.
    hmm, myths? I told him to cut out sugars and starches....Told him to eat high protein diet... and i also said he must moderate his intake....YOU- told him to eat high protein diet... we said the same thing... and crunches , if he can, will develop the abs but will not be seen unless he loses the fat layer, hence the reason i told him to do BOTH exercise and diet. Since we are talking about someone with a sci, we are limited on what he is capable of doing. Please tell me what "myths" i told him?

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    I cannot comment about your level of injury, but that logic seems to be the consensus around here. That said, I have yet to see a person with a high level injury that has a low enough bf% to actually see if you can see abdominal muscles even if there is some shifting of organs, but I get the reasoning.
    MY LEVEL IS C4-C5 , which is high, and by doing what i explained(diet/crunches) my abs became visible.
    - Rolling Thru Life -