Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a seat back angle

Choosing a seat back angle

My current chair, (a ZR2) started out with a seat back angle of 89°. Over time that has increased to something well past 90. I went to tighten everything up, and saw that one of the screws is missing. This is the first hinge issued by TiLite in the summer of 2010. The back and other considerations have made it clear that it's time for a new chair. Obviously, I like a tippy set up at 4.5", and wonder if or how important a change of 3 or 4° makes.

The original hinge was subject to a recall and if you specifically request it, TiLite will provide the current hinge for your chair. Otherwise, you will get a retrofit kit which is just a couple of longer bolts. The newer hinge is substantially better. The company that provided your chair could have notified you about this as it was an FDA field correction.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    My current chair, (a ZR2) started out with a seat back angle of 89°. Over time that has increased to something well past 90. I went to tighten everything up, and saw that one of the screws is missing. This is the first hinge issued by TiLite in the summer of 2010. The back and other considerations have made it clear that it's time for a new chair. Obviously, I like a tippy set up at 4.5", and wonder if or how important a change of 3 or 4° makes.
    When I'm in my chairs, a few degrees matters quite a bit, since they are setup right on the edge of my stability threshold.

However, I do find the tippiness easier to control with a bigger angle. Hard to put into words, but the tip seems to come on with more warning...feels softer. The closer my backrest gets to 90 the less tippy, but the tip comes on quicker, with less warning...it's "snappier", I guess.

Make any sense?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

It was issued by the VA, and at the time, the sales rep did mention a delay related to the lock feature. As it turned out, I didn't wind up using the feature as much as I originally thought.
    The angle wouldn't be a factor, except the new one will have a fixed back. Yes, it is hard to put into words, but I suspect tippiness is more about me that a degree or two. As a matter of fact, a one inch change in the dump, width, and depth would all serve me better, and with all that going on, better safe than sorry. Also I forgot the cog is adjustable a half in inch or so. Maybe this is splitting hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    The company that provided your chair should have notified you about this as it was an FDA field correction.
    Ugmmm. That means the VA should have notified you.

You should still get the updated hinge for the ZR2 for when it is used as a backup chair.

Which VA are you followed through?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    When I'm in my chairs, a few degrees matters quite a bit, since they are setup right on the edge of my stability threshold.

However, I do find the tippiness easier to control with a bigger angle. Hard to put into words, but the tip seems to come on with more warning...feels softer. The closer my backrest gets to 90 the less tippy, but the tip comes on quicker, with less warning...it's "snappier", I guess.

Make any sense?
    It makes total sense as it has to do with overall frame length and distribution of center of mass. On my own chair, if I pull my feet toward the back of the footplates and wheelie, the chair pops up more quickly and it is more difficult to maintain. If I move my feet out toward the front of the footrests and do the same thing, my front and comes up less and it is much easier to hold the wheelie and use it functionally.

The reason for this is that there is less concentration of mass. It is distributed across a much longer area.

That would be the Bronx. You think it may be a squeaky wheel thing, no pun intended?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    It makes total sense as it has to do with overall frame length and distribution of center of mass. On my own chair, if I pull my feet toward the back of the footplates and wheelie, the chair pops up more quickly and it is more difficult to maintain. If I move my feet out toward the front of the footrests and do the same thing, my front and comes up less and it is much easier to hold the wheelie and use it functionally.

The reason for this is that there is less concentration of mass. It is distributed across a much longer area.
    Right On! TiLite has a serial number look up feature that has helped me compare. It's 54238. I plan on going 15x17 and increasing the fts to 19/16. It doesn't sound like a lot, but taken together means more.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    That would be the Bronx. You think it may be a squeaky wheel thing, no pun intended?
    No. I would just call the therapist you worked with when you ordered the chair.

Thanks, called Friday, and will follow up this week.