Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First ride of the Year!

First ride of the Year!

It's been raining in Washington for nearly 5 weeks so haven't been able to ride. I was getting snarly and hard to live with I imagine.

Today was the first day I could get out there and ride even though it was only 31o. My water bottle was near frozen when I got home.

I only did 12 miles and it was cold but felt so good to finally work off those endorphins.

Godbless the Powerpod. I'm sure without it, I may not have gone out. Thanks Mark, you make it so I can still ride after so many years.

Anyone else go out today?

I guess the hand pedaling kept you warm. I took my e-trike out at the end of October but my face got so cold it was only fun to go slow. But I don't like seeing it just sit there. If we get a sunny day that is warmer than today I'll go for a spin.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Only got in 8 miles due to rain but was glad I was able to get those in

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I guess the hand pedaling kept you warm. I took my e-trike out at the end of October but my face got so cold it was only fun to go slow. But I don't like seeing it just sit there. If we get a sunny day that is warmer than today I'll go for a spin.
    lol, I doubt that's going to happen for awhile N. Have you had a chance to do the Burke Gillman trail?

I think my handcycle is getting more like an E-trike with the Powerpod attached behind it. Sure makes it easier to train using the PP.

I agree DJ, the rain seems to put a damper on riding. Courase once we're wet, it's not too bad unless it's cold also. Which it is here.

Hey Patrick - it has been in the teens around here so I am not cycling, BUT, I did go kayaking in Lake Tahoe today to start the year. 3 hour plus paddle. It is the same muscles as hand cycling.

Glad you got out on 1/1/13.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    lol, I doubt that's going to happen for awhile N. Have you had a chance to do the Burke Gillman trail?

I think my handcycle is getting more like an E-trike with the Powerpod attached behind it. Sure makes it easier to train using the PP....clip
    I never even thought about the BK trail. It is about a 20 mile drive from where I live and it seems to me to be too popular. There might be an access point at the UW, but that certainly is not handy either. Have you done it? I’m not real comfortable having only E power on bike/walking trails, but there really is no choice most of the time. Green Lake is popular too. They had to put in a yellow directional line there.

I got the trike finished in time to take it to so Cal and haven’t done much here except short runs around home. We live in West Seattle so I hope to use it along Alki and down into Lincoln Park which has been off limits to me for years as my legs were too far gone to walk down to the beach.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Yep, I've done the BG trail and also Green lake in the earlier days. Was a fun ride.

I usually just ride from my house outside of Blaine and ride the county roads.

The E bikes have come a long ways with the better components and longer lasting batteries. I just added a third battery to my Powerpod making it a 48vlt 15ah setup. Man it turned the dang thing into a rocket with the added power. The added battery made the 500 watt E motor into a 1000 watt one. They said it would be fine and so far it has.

I too am now up to 48 volts with a 550 watt motor. I also upgraded my controller to 35 amps which made a fantastic difference, but apparently maxes out the current rating of the wire stubs into my motor. What disturbs me is reading new info here:
    http://www.ebikes.ca/store/diagrams/...,%20Rev1.0.pdf stating expected battery life of 2-3 years. At 800 bucks that isn't so good.

i bet it was fun its been snowing here i cant wait to get back at it

what a great inspiration you have been pat your the man
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Blog Entries
    Pat,

It's been rainning here so I did 12 miles on my trainer yesterday....... does that count?