Thread: muscle control return

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

muscle control return

Hi, I'm 34 male been a c3 quad for 18 years, for the most part paralyzed from the shoulders down. over the last 6 months i been experiencing changes in my body, i can feel temperature down to my elbows which makes me feel chilly constantly just because i'm not use to it. I also have muscles throughout my back, chest, sides and abdomen that seem to woken up. I can feel them contract, and muscle burn after contracting them. it getting easier to activate them day by day. i do a few contractions and i'm exhausted. I really can't see any movement by eye. I'm skin and bone, what kind of shape are my muscles in after deteriorating for 18 years? I definitely feeling the muscles trying to work. am i just exhausting myself thinking these muscles will recover some if i keep at it?

Everyone prays for a cure but sometimes i wonder. I was on a vent for a year when i was first hurt, learned how to breath with my diaphragm and all was good. over the last year i been getting more breathing muscles back as well and with that when u get tired or muscle fatigued u can't just stop breathing to relax the sore muscles like if it was your leg. I have spent alot of time in alot of pain and feeling like i couldn't breath because of new muscles hurting from waking up after so long and working 24/7. What do u think will happen muscle wise? They just probably 98%gone and won’t comeback?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    Hi, I'm 34 male been a c3 quad for 18 years, for the most part paralyzed from the shoulders down. over the last 6 months i been experiencing changes in my body, i can feel temperature down to my elbows which makes me feel chilly constantly just because i'm not use to it. I also have muscles throughout my back, chest, sides and abdomen that seem to woken up. I can feel them contract, and muscle burn after contracting them. it getting easier to activate them day by day. i do a few contractions and i'm exhausted. I really can't see any movement by eye. I'm skin and bone, what kind of shape are my muscles in after deteriorating for 18 years? I definitely feeling the muscles trying to work. am i just exhausting myself thinking these muscles will recover some if i keep at it?

Everyone prays for a cure but sometimes i wonder. I was on a vent for a year when i was first hurt, learned how to breath with my diaphragm and all was good. over the last year i been getting more breathing muscles back as well and with that when u get tired or muscle fatigued u can't just stop breathing to relax the sore muscles like if it was your leg. I have spent alot of time in alot of pain and feeling like i couldn't breath because of new muscles hurting from waking up after so long and working 24/7. What do u think will happen muscle wise? They just probably 98%gone and won’t comeback?
    I would get to therapy ASAP and try to maximize the return! Have your breathing muscles started to get stronger and hurt less? If so why can't the rest of your muscles do the same?

my breathing muscles i feel are a little stronger and work higher up under my ribs and chest but I have developed a feeling of tight muscles right around my bottom 2 ribs and part of my stomach that seem to squeeze for 75% of the day. It seems they work against my breathing mostly. there are times throughout the day when those muscles are relaxed and i get excited as how much my breathing improves. But I am concerned my muscles are already to far gone for any drastic improvements. as far as therapy i get almost none. my unfortunate circumstance is I live in a nursing home and other than 15minutes of range of motion a few times a week i cannot get therapy.

What part of the country do you live in?

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

New York isn't anything here for quads