Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Handicapped parking enforcement

  1. #11
    I don't see why more departments are not interested in the revenue. They patrol downtown hourly here and ticket other offenders.
    Once at a clinic/professional building when we came out someone parked in the blue stripes next to the van where I let the ramp down.
    I went in and asked the parking attendant at the desk to call the police and he was dumbfounded and said they could not because it was private property.
    I asked him what the sign with $100 meant. He was going to go put a warning on the car-a warning for what?
    At least I can back the van out and get Dave in. For those here that drive and need the ramp down to get in it is surely a really big headache.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonsail View Post
    The people in charge were caught stealing funds and then fraudulent checks to cash.
    It sounds like the volunteers were in charge of ticketing and collecting the money. Our volunteers have nothing to do with that. The photo evidence, time, location, etc. are provided to the people who handle all traffic and other tickets issued by the sheriff's office. The volunteers do not issue the tickets. If a ticket recipient goes to court to try to get out of the fine, the volunteers testify, stating when and where they took the photos.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I don't see why more departments are not interested in the revenue. They patrol downtown hourly here and ticket other offenders.
    Once at a clinic/professional building when we came out someone parked in the blue stripes next to the van where I let the ramp down.
    I went in and asked the parking attendant at the desk to call the police and he was dumbfounded and said they could not because it was private property.
    I asked him what the sign with $100 meant. He was going to go put a warning on the car-a warning for what?
    At least I can back the van out and get Dave in. For those here that drive and need the ramp down to get in it is surely a really big headache.
    In SC the law enforcement people can enforce the laws in privately owned but publicly used parking lots with the owners consent. Most of them allow it because they appreciate the police patrolling the parking lots. It increases the safety of the people using the lots. If anything, the lot owners complain that the police do not patrol enough.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    In SC the law enforcement people can enforce the laws in privately owned but publicly used parking lots with the owners consent. Most of them allow it because they appreciate the police patrolling the parking lots. It increases the safety of the people using the lots. If anything, the lot owners complain that the police do not patrol enough.
    Here is how it works in Denver.
    http://www.9news.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=308367&catid=222

  5. #15
    Senior Member Tim C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,205
    Blog Entries
    1

    Legal fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Fraud and embezzlement? That sounds like a program setup issue. In our program the findings by the volunteers are turned over to the sheriff's office and processed through the regular ticketing/collection system. Volunteers have background checks and training before they can participate.
    What's the sense when the medical professionals, aka doctors, issue the HP letters to their patients like they're handing out business cards. It's like if you stub a toe you'll get at least a three-month permit if you know who to ask.

  6. #16
    I'd like to write a letter and include this to the three police departments in our community, but not sure how to go about it.
    A couple winters ago a reporter called and interviewed us when I made a HC enforcement call ,but the article was put off for more fashion and fluff articles.
    The weather was so cold it hurt my husbands lungs to park at the end of the lot and I hate to drop him off and leave him to go park long with his trach issues.
    When I can't get the ramp down it is worst in the winter.
    Thanks for posting that 55.
    My new years resolution was to not let this get me so upset and have a heart attack!

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by russianrob View Post
    Many counties have such programs. I can tell you ours is very effective and can issue citations. And with some legislation passed a few years ago a portion of the revenue goes to ADA improvements in the county and another portion goes to the Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Trust fund. It can be a great benefit to the community in many ways. If anyone want more info on Florida's program let me know.
    I'd love some info!!

  8. #18
    In Michigan they don't give a damm.
    Michigan is broke...would be a good idea I think.
    I get tired of finding someone to move my van so I can get in.
    Art

  9. #19
    I just sent letters to the michigan gov...senate member and rep.

    See what I get in return.....lol

    I'll let you know.
    Art

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    What's the sense when the medical professionals, aka doctors, issue the HP letters to their patients like they're handing out business cards. It's like if you stub a toe you'll get at least a three-month permit if you know who to ask.
    Hear that all the time. We are doing something about it. We have spelled out the qualification criteria on the application physicians must complete. Physicians must submit a legal prescription for the placard along with application. The DMV makes the determination of whether the placard criteria have been met. As a prescription, physicians are bound by law and ethics to assure that it is justified and accurate. Here is a link to our application:
    http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/RG-007A.pdf

    We have also found that enforcement of parking space privileges is best done at the local level. Local law enforcement and politicians are more responsive to local people/complaints that can affect them. When we started exploring the use of volunteers, some local officials questioned whether they had the authority to do this. Although the state attorney rendered an opinion that they did, we went ahead and incorporated that right into our state law enforcement legislation. Now there is no question: In sum, action is most likely to be effective at the local level. Here is a link to our legislation worked out through collaboration with local law enforcement agencies at all levels and the legislature:

    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess116_...bills/3124.htm

    We view our efforts as a work in progress. We will continue to fine tune or upgrade it as we see what happens. Securing our rights is a tough battle. It is work, not bitching and complaining, that get things done. I was the one who spent countless hours drafting the first version of our legislation overhaul. Once I got started I got a great deal of support from legislators to members a disability organizaions. Sometimes it takes a little leadership and initiative to get the ball rolling.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 08:11 AM
  2. Handicapped Parking Win
    By brian in forum Life
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
  3. Head of Parking Enforcement Fired
    By Raccoon in forum Life
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 12:59 AM
  4. Handicapped Parking
    By porchdog in forum Life
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •