Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Else Coach?

Does Anyone Else Coach?

I have recently started back to coaching AB lacrosse. I was wondering if anyone else out there coaches sports either for AB's or para athletes.

I am very excited to be back on the field. But I am having a tough time with figuring out how to get around demonstrating skills and such. This may be the toughest obstacle.

I have a a good asst. coach whom I use for demo's. I guess we just have to get on the right page.

I was curious if others out there have returned or started coaching and may have encountered some of the same issues that I may face. Most of the boys respect my experienxe and lacrosse resume, but it was always nice to have the skills to be back up my talk. That was always helpful as an AB coach as well. It is easy to talk, but when the boys know you can put your money where your mouth is so to speak it is always much more helpful.

Showing them a college team picture from 1989 doesn't work as well. I am looking forward to the rest of the season and figuring this out as I have with all the other issues with SCI.

I hope that if there are other coaches out there that we might be able to have an open discussion about coaching from a chair or with crutches or other assistive devices and how we deal with different situations we may encounter.

I have had clients who coached...one was a dad who was a Little League coach for many years (C5 injury) and the other was a Navy Seal who coached college level swimming (C7).

I am sure there are many others. You do have to really develop your verbal skills to be able to describe rather than demonstrate what you want the athletes to do.

(KLD)

Thank you. One of my mentors at Kernan coached football. Which must be even harder in that respect than lax.

I am excited to figure this out. I am fortunate to be on my feet but I am incapable of doing much more than stand there.

I know that this is the best places to find folks who have been there and done that.

It sounds like you are up for the challenge. The distraction is a positive one

Thank you. I appreciate the vote of confidence. And yes the distraction is great. It feels very natural to be back at it.

I am on my second year back coaching volleyball and track (hurdles). I love it! The kids have been great. I drive to away matches and tournaments. I volunteer for track because springtime in Minnesota isn't always so nice. I have found that the schools have been great to work with. I always call ahead to make sure that they know I am coming. I use upper level kids to help demonstrate, workouts of the web, etc.

I would love to be part of a coaching forum. That is a great idea!

Kathy

So far I have tried to do the same thing. Use the more experienced players as my demos or another coach. I was very hands on before I was injured when I coached.
    Videos are a good idea. I may try to find some videos online that I can use.

I will keep posting in here as the season progresses. Maybe other will pop in.

Another thing I have done is video the kids when they hurdle. Our girls head coach is the technology head at our school. I, too, was very hands on before. It took some reaching down deep to do this and it still does. The peaceful, happy, "normal", feelings I get when coaching really help push me forward!

It just feels natural doesn't it. Filming games is pretty standard, but I may have to consider taping some practice. It may very instructive. I always like to jump in and stop them when I want to make a point and then get them going again. I seem to slow things down a bit too much right now when I stop play and jump in. I sense some frustration with the guys on this, but I can't let it stop me from making my points when they need to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    I have recently started back to coaching AB lacrosse. I was wondering if anyone else out there coaches sports either for AB's or para athletes.

... I hope that if there are other coaches out there that we might be able to have an open discussion about coaching from a chair or with crutches or other assistive devices and how we deal with different situations we may encounter.
    I recently posted this thread about a CC member who coaches football.

Another member (coaches college football) was also mentioned in the thread.

Getting a group of coaches to chat and support one another sounds like a great idea.