Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recurrent UTIs

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    if he is a diabetic, then yes there is a downside as mannose is a sugar.
    And, d-mannose is only effect against e. coli.

What bacteria has been responsible for Chad's infections?

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.

When I was struggling with chronic UTI my Uro prescribed Gentimycin (sp?) as a daily irrigation. Worked very well. Now, I have some on hand, for "as needed". Maybe twice a year my pee will cloud up, get stinky, but no fever or other symptoms. I'll irrigate daily for a week, or so, and be back to normal (usually after 1st couple days, but Uro orders were 1 week, as needed.). Been my protocol for ~ 4 years now, and no full blown UTIs.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

His last cytoscope was about 2 years ago. I'll ask about doing it again re: stones, that is a good idea. The bug is often, but not always, pseudomonas, other times it's klebsiella, now and then it's e coli. I'll also ask about a gent irrigation.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

The stones were seen per cystoscope. Before they were found the only suggestion by the doc was irrigation. I didn't want to add another procedure which would not get at the root of the problem. I would also be leery of using Gentamycin on a regular or semi-regular basis due to it's side effects. My older ( deceased )brother lost his hearing from it. And irrigating is yet another break in what should be a closed system. But we all find our own ways that work for our situations.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    if he is a diabetic, then yes there is a downside as mannose is a sugar.
    d-mannose has no effect on the blood sugar. It is a different sort of "sugar" and almost none of it is taken up by the body. It goes from the gut to the urine. Check with your doctor, but from what I can find it is safe for diabetics.

d-mannose is only effective against certain types of e-coli. These particular e-coli apparently cause most bladder infections. Also it does not rip up the rest of your digestive system like major does of antibiotics do.

The last I heard, any given antibiotic is only effective against particular types of bacteria.

There is no downside in trying it, and huge potential upside. I have not been treated with antibiotics for a UTI in over a decade. This is because of d-mannose has been 100% effective for me over this time.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3rd View Post
    d-mannose has no effect on the blood sugar. It is a different sort of "sugar" and almost none of it is taken up by the body. It goes from the gut to the urine. Check with your doctor, but from what I can find it is safe for diabetics.

d-mannose is only effective against certain types of e-coli. These particular e-coli apparently cause most bladder infections. In Chad's case, d-mannose may at most help him 1/3 of the time since his bladder infections have been "pseudomonas, other times it's klebsiella, now and then it's e coli" Also it does not rip up the rest of your digestive system like major does of antibiotics do.

The last I heard, any given antibiotic is only effective against particular types of bacteria. True, but you aren't (or shouldn't be) taking antibiotics prophylactically, albeit there isn't the downside of taking d-mannose regularly like there is of antibiotics.

There is no downside in trying it, and huge potential upside. I have not been treated with antibiotics for a UTI in over a decade. This is because of d-mannose has been 100% effective for me over this time.
    I don't think anyone is trying to gore you ox on the use of d-mannose. Rather, I think other comments about d-mannose have given a well rounded picture of what to expect from any one preventative therapy.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-08-2013 at 11:14 PM.

I will give d-mannose a try; I just ordered some. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    I will give d-mannose a try; I just ordered some. Thank you!
    Ami, as I asked earlier, just curious why you don't want to use Vetericyn? You know my testimonial, and that of many members of Care Cure Community, but to reiterate...32 months since suprapubic was placed. No colonization and only 1 urinary tract infection in that time. Urine is crystal clear.

Since Chad's urinary tract infections are not limited to E.coli, and in fact E.coli is the few and far between cause of his infections, I wonder how effective d-mannose will be in dealing with these frequent and recurring urinary tract infections. Hope things go well on this trial. Keep us posted.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-09-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Edited to remove a judgmental comment, sorry.

It's because instilling Vetricyn didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    It's because instilling Vetricyn didn't work.
    I see. Hmm. Curious how you were using Vetericyn? But, I know you are vigilant in what you do and how you do it. Certainly, there are exceptions to the every rule. Really sorry you and Chad did not have success with Vetericyn.

Hope you find your answers.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-09-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Add more to post.