Thread: Question regarding moving and benefits

Question regarding moving and benefits

If I move to another state do I have to reapply for ssdi, Medicaid and Medicare? Or can I just transfer over?
    Thanks,
    Tin
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

Medicaid, yes, as it is a state program that is partially federally funded. Medicare, no, because it is a federal program (and not based on financial status either). The same is true for SSI or SSDI, although the amount of money you get from those programs may vary as there are locality based rates influenced by cost of living.

(KLD)

Thank you KLD.
    I'm thinking of moving to New Mexico because NJ is so expensive. I guess according to you if I move my ssdi will probably be less than what I receive now.
    T3 Complete

My son moved from NJ to FL with Medicare, SSDI, and got Fl Medicaid approved almost immediately. We filled out a form on line (they don't use flesh and blood if at all possible) and just about every MD in Florida accepts Medicare. With the exception of the Florida state sci programs being limited to "injuries" (really bad for us) and that NJ Medicaid provided dental, Fl provides none, it's been ok.

If you have a part D plan that you like you may lose it. He had Aetna Rx that covered some specialty meds -- the plan does not include Florida residents.

Quote Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
    Thank you KLD.
    I'm thinking of moving to New Mexico because NJ is so expensive. I guess according to you if I move my ssdi will probably be less than what I receive now.
    Ive changed between five states and my SSDI did not change. I believe that nurse is referring to SSI which is state based and the amount does changed based on state funding. SSDI is federal and is a uniform amount based on what you paid in when you worked.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Again, I would like to thanks everyone for your helpful inputs.
    It's good to know that Fla. doesn't provide dental. I was thinking of relocating to Fla. but doesn't know anyone there.
    T3 Complete

I went into ssa.gov and created an acct. it's pretty easy to move with ssdi or ssi. You can update your address and direct deposit online.
    T3 Complete