Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly soft voice (on ventilator)

I can only offer you my thoughts and prayers Bill. You have more to offer to this world besides your voice, but I understand what your saying. I hope this is only temporary.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

My opinion is that you should see a speech pathologist to have your speaking evaluated and treatment recommendations made. It is common to have scar tissue after a trach.

pbr

Is there a possibility that the adjustments on your ventilator or speaking valve have been changed during cleaning or for some other reason. A friend of mine says that even minor adjustment changes can make a big difference for him.

All the best,
    GJ

LindaT, somehow I missed your post yesterday. I'm glad to know that monthly changes and slightly dirty filters don't seem to be a problem. Thank you.

wtf, I appreciate your thoughts, prayers, and perspective. Thank you.

pbr, I hadn't thought of seeing a speech pathologist. Thank you.

gjnl, we've checked my vent settings and they haven't changed. I thought that it could be old speaking valves (mine are probably over 10 years old) but I can test them by holding my breath for a cycle, and they seem to be working fine. Thanks.

I think I'm going to pursue the speech pathologist option. Perhaps my primary physician knows a good one.
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Hi Bill I used a speech pathologist and she really helped me I had a very rough time with my Trach

I truly hope things work out for you
    Keep Smiling
    Sincerely ;
    GL

Bill, I checked with another friend who uses a vent, and he had a similar experience. The solution for him was to tweak the inhalation/ exhalation ratio (1:1.1). Have you tried playing around with that? Every brand of vent will be a little different.

Seems Scaper might be on to something Bill. If the only major change has been the vent it stands to reason that could be it.
    Keep us posted. Hope it isn't affecting your daily life too much.

Scaper "stole" my suggestio.. I would guess that there may be something different in this new vent. Does the circuit hold the same volume? That could be contributing to the difference.
    CKF

Thank you all for the replies (sorry for the delay replying; I don't recall seeing the email notification of replies, so this was a nice surprise to find).

I'll see if we can try what Scaper suggested. The thing that doesn't make sense for it to be a vent setting issue, is it was fine for several months, and then suddenly my voice was relatively "gone" (soft). No settings changed.

My primary doctor wants my ENT to evaluate me and see if there's something "mechanical" affecting my vocal chords and/or speech. That appointment is Tuesday. My primary also said that acid reflux can cause hoarseness, and he's got me on some Prilosec (over the counter) for a test period to see if that helps.
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Hi Bill, Those all sound like valid things to have checked out.
    Do you have history of any granular tissue in your trach stoma? Dave has been plagued by that lately and have been seeing the ENT regularly to keep the nubs trimmed down.
    He also takes acid reflex medication.
    Good luck and let us know if the ENT has any suggestions.