Thread: New (used) Redman Stander project chair

New (used) Redman Stander project chair

A few months back, I acquired an older Redman Standing chair that I'm slowly reconditioning and refitting to meet my needs...

I've rebuilt the battery box to replace the totally inadequate U-1 batteries with Group 24's (and eventually plan to replace those with LiFePO4 Headway cells) and upgraded a lot of the wiring.

The next big challenge will be to redo the seating to deal with the fact that the person I bought the chair from is a lot shorter than I am.

Redman says that if I send them some pictures of me in the chair, they can help with the remake, but I'm afraid they will want to just sell me a bunch of over-priced parts, judging by the lack of solid technical information in their manuals and website. I'd also like to be able to verify that any suggested changes are correct independently.

I am wondering if there are any resources available on how to do measurements on a standing chair to make sure that the pivoting points are in the right place....

Also, I notice that every standing frame and chair that I've seen only seems to stand you up to about 80-85* or less - This seems very inadequate as far as I'm concerned. I want to stand up straight, and ideally even be able to bend forward... Is there any PHYSIOLOGICAL reason why I can't stand up straight as a para, or is this just another example of the failings of the mobility industry???

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.

Most standing frames put you up at 90 degrees. Most standing chairs don't as it makes it much more difficult to set up the chair to avoid flipping the chair forward or allowing you to fall esp. if you are a big person.

(KLD)

OK, thanks... Good to know that it's a design issue, not a medical problem.... That makes it easier for me to work on getting further upright...

Overall the Redman design and build seems fairly decent, though it has the usual problems of being over-sized and over-weight, and their newer model chairs have been degraded by use of a 6-wheel design, but I think I can do better. This chair is an intermediate step that will make it easier to work on building my own, as it's much easier and safer to use heavy power tools (lathes, mills, welders, etc...) when one can stand up...

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.

That sounds like a real cool project. Are you documenting your work anywhere online?

I've been working on a couple standing devices for my Mom and I too have struggled w/ positioning the pivot points. I've found that trying to get the knee pivot point as close to the actual back of the knee is ideal and helps reduce shear when going up. The hip/back pivot is the trickiest in order to keep the seat back perpendicular to the floor when standing.

Here's a video I made showing the angles and operation of the frame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL13...e_gdata_player

I'm a very active participant on the forums over on WheelChairDriver.com, and have a thread on the chair going where I've got most of my stuff documented, look for New (used) Redman Stander project chair" (and lots of other heavy technical discussion on mostly power chairs)

I like the video, especially how you get the job done with just one actuator... The Redman has three - one for the leg rest, one for the seat, and one for the backrest. The backrest one keeps breaking on me... There is also a ush-pull cable setup that slides the actual backrest up and down, presumably to reduce shear. It does let the backrest recline when sitting, but seems like a lot of extra complex monkey motion to do what should be a pretty simple job...

ex-Gooserider
    Last edited by ex-Gooserider; 01-05-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: add video comment