Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: SCI Pilot stuff and flying fun etc....

That is SO COOL Mark! It looks like your legs did fine. What is the issue-do they fatigue quickly or is it hard to control your movements precisely?

I like the video - keep them coming!

Okay, I had not seen this thread,Mark, that was really great ! Great job with the helicopter and the plane.

Really cool. I loved it -

It's like you're in the helicopter. When it banked, I almost leaned over with it ... I could have hurled from 2000' !!!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by STOLhorse View Post
    That is SO COOL Mark! It looks like your legs did fine. What is the issue-do they fatigue quickly or is it hard to control your movements precisely?

I like the video - keep them coming!

Thanks..!!!

The legs are something of an issue.
    Ron was trying to teach me how to "feel" the pressure through the pedals...and honestly, I can barely do that.
    For me, it is much more basic. If I see the nose swinging right I have to push with my left. There is no "feel" going on. I am using my quads mainly I think.

So I feel a little disconnected from the feet.....they still do what I tell them, but I have to "think" to tell them what to do, they dont just take care of the work on their own isntinctively.....if that makes sense?

As for fatigue...he was working them hard, and the pedals in that helicopter are heavy. At the end of the hour I was about done. I reckon I have about an hour of work in those feet...

The good news is, that once about 60 knots of forward flight you do not use the pedals at all. This gives your feet a chance to recover. And honestly, I could probably fly for hours and manage the power that my feet have by regulating how hard I use them.

Anyway, I am unfortunately hooked.....my intention was to take just that one lesson. But having put an hour of hard work into learning the controls, I feel I owe it to myself to take just one more hour, so I can actually enjoy flying the thing, with fresh feet....

And I can justify doing almost anything....so....

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Okay, I had not seen this thread,Mark, that was really great ! Great job with the helicopter and the plane.

Really cool. I loved it -
    Thanks arndog...!!! and you too lyniffer

Mark, you rock! And in a nice 500C as well, cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Mark, you rock! And in a nice 500C as well, cool!

Lol thanks Andy...

I decided to take another lesson. I didnt mean to, I was always just gonna take 1 hour with this guy, to see how the feet went.

But I spent all that time working to learn the 3 controls, and put it together at the end....but now I think I owe it to myself to really fly it.

So I want to have another hour, with fresh feet, and see what can be done.....but damn its too expensive this.

BTW...I love this helicopter....its like all the baddies have in films....
    Last edited by MarkB701; 04-16-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post

Anyway, I am unfortunately hooked.....my intention was to take just that one lesson. But having put an hour of hard work into learning the controls, I feel I owe it to myself to take just one more hour, so I can actually enjoy flying the thing, with fresh feet....

And I can justify doing almost anything....so....
    That's funny! I have been suffering from that same affliction all of my life! Maybe we should start a support group for "Aviation Justification Syndrome" or something like that.

I understand what you are saying about your feet. Maybe this is a stupid question but would thinner shoes help? I never liked flying in boots (not that you were) because I lost the feel of the rudder. I always liked thin and flexible shoes for that reason.

Keep going with the helicopter training! But, don't forget the GoPro so the rest of us can go with you!

David

Now I'm as shade-tree a heli fan as they come...but would flying a Ecureuil help out with the servo powered tail rotor? Ignoring hourly operational costs of course

Quote Originally Posted by STOLhorse View Post
    I understand what you are saying about your feet. Maybe this is a stupid question but would thinner shoes help? I never liked flying in boots (not that you were) because I lost the feel of the rudder. I always liked thin and flexible shoes for that reason.

David

For comparison purposes, these are my everyday AFO's for walking, and my nice Keens. Note the angle of the ankle....keeps those toes up.

...these are my "flying AFO's". I hacked the back out of them to enable my toes to point better on the pedals. And the running shoes are thinner and give better feel for flying...