Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: SCI Pilot stuff and flying fun etc....

Thumbs up soda checkride

Yeahhhhhh! My checkride(s) 2 different examiners. One of them tried to ground my instructor. I eventually did get my pp ticket... I am getting back into flying again after leaving it 20 years. What is a soda ride? Congrats on getting your ticket back.

Statement Of Demonstrated Ability - that's what they call the waiver. A lot of people refer to the medical flight test as a "SODA ride".

I'm glad your getting back into it. Have you flown since being injured?

Congratulations!!!

I knew you were working on it, but had not seen anything so was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by STOLhorse View Post
    Well, I haven't been on here in about a week but the big news is I got my SODA waiver on Monday! The check ride (medical flight test) was really straightforward with no surprises. We went over all the papers for the airplane and she had me figure the weight and balance. That was about it on the ground and then we went to the plane. She watched me preflight and then I started to climb in. For some reason, I had a hard time with my legs but she was very patient. She moved my chair to the office for me and then climbed in. I tried to be thorough with checklists, passenger briefings, etc. We went out and did a couple of stalls, some slow flight and then came back to the airport. I did two touch and goes and a full stop - normal, soft field, and short field with a slip on final. That was it. She was very reasonable and easy to work with and it was a good experience. (Can't say that about all check rides!)

I was worried about restrictions but that worked out okay, too. I was issued a temporary certificate that still reads ATP multiengine but limited to "hand controls only, single engine. I'll have to do another medical flight test in a multiengine plane to get those privileges back. Fair enough.

This was a BIG milestone in my recovery and I'm glad to have it done! What's next? I don't know but I'm giving serious consideration to getting my instructor certificate. We'll see....

Thanks to all of you for answering my questions and, if anybody has any questions about learning to fly or getting back into it, feel free to contact me.

David
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Well, I haven't been on here in about a week but the big news is I got my SODA waiver on Monday! The check ride (medical flight test) was really straightforward with no surprises. We went over all the papers for the airplane and she had me figure the weight and balance. That was about it on the ground and then we went to the plane. She watched me preflight and then I started to climb in. For some reason, I had a hard time with my legs but she was very patient. She moved my chair to the office for me and then climbed in. I tried to be thorough with checklists, passenger briefings, etc. We went out and did a couple of stalls, some slow flight and then came back to the airport. I did two touch and goes and a full stop - normal, soft field, and short field with a slip on final. That was it. She was very reasonable and easy to work with and it was a good experience. (Can't say that about all check rides!)

I was worried about restrictions but that worked out okay, too. I was issued a temporary certificate that still reads ATP multiengine but limited to "hand controls only, single engine. I'll have to do another medical flight test in a multiengine plane to get those privileges back. Fair enough.

This was a BIG milestone in my recovery and I'm glad to have it done! What's next? I don't know but I'm giving serious consideration to getting my instructor certificate. We'll see....

Thanks to all of you for answering my questions and, if anybody has any questions about learning to fly or getting back into it, feel free to contact me.

David
    Congrats David...!!!

That is excellent...! My examiners were particularly nice with me too. I wonder if they feel a little more warm-hearted when dealing with the disabled..??? I'll take that any day.

My medical ran out and there was some confusion. They made me go back to my physician and get another letter from him (stating my injury was stable, lack of meds etc). But I just heard back from the FAA with a fresh medical. They also stated that I no longer need a special issuance because of the SCI - so I can just get regular medicals now

To celelbrate I took Sam flying on sunday for the first time in a couple of months....was so nice to be back in the air.

I am looking at helicopter lessons next; a guy locally teaches and took us up with him on Sunday....I am about to be hooked

Stol, I was injured

I was injured in 1976. I earned my pp ticket with a soda in 1989. I really would like to get a glider add-on. Soaring looks like real fun and no $7 a gallon fuel...the Union Control was very easy to get used too. How about all of the new aircraft sky arrow etc...

Helicopter training

Mark B will you need the heli leg or can you use your feet?

Quote Originally Posted by eversonsail View Post
    Mark B will you need the heli leg or can you use your feet?
    I used my feet on the 30 minute intro-ride...of which maybe 3 minutes using my feet. The instructor said they seemed ok....but hey, I need more proof...

So I have got a 1 hour flight in a Hughes MD500 on Saturday with the emphasis being on my foot control. So fingers crossed....

Yeah, the Sky Arrow looks like a fun plane to cruise around in. It looks like it would be a challenge to get in and out of, though.

Mark, watch out for turbine helicopters! They are seriously addicting!

My medical came due this month since they kept the original date of examination when they finally issued mine last fall. (The whole process took nearly two years of appeals!) I had to educate my AME on the regulation that explaines how to issue a medical with the SODA because he thinks we need to go through the whole special issuance process again. I hope he doesn't make it harder than it needs to be. My appointment is this Thursday so we'll see.....

Anyone fly a trike?

Mark, watch out for turbine helicopters! They are seriously addicting!
    Lol...too late...I am now addicted.

I made this video, and here are some pics...all this went down yesterday.

On this dolly it was some advanced handicapping-skillz to get on board...

This was the device I made just the night before with some 1" copper pipe and fixtures from Home Depot....took an hour.

Note the device....and feet

Jet turbine Hughes 500.....insanely great plane.....but too expensive to learn in full time....I need to find a Robinson R22 or similar.

The devic I use for flying planes goes between my knees and would not have worked.

Open door policy??? It was breathtaking to bank to the right and be looking straight down fo 2,000ft

So there it is. Not conclusive yet, but seems the feet can handle the control. Ron did work my feet really hard and they were showing signs of fatigue towards the end. However, the Hughes is a heavy touch on all the controls, no hydraullic assistance (unlike say the R22). So this was a worst case scenario type. And you dont use the feet once up to normal flying speed.

It is just a shame this helicopter is so damn expensive to fly.

I think I can justify taking a few more lessons thought....