Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: SCI Pilot stuff and flying fun etc....

Quote Originally Posted by STOLhorse View Post
    Yep, I miss sex A LOT but I'd have to say I'd choosing flying first, too!
    My last flight in the Husky was with my son the day before my injury, was starting to give him front seat time. He has since graduated from the USAFA and is now a 2nd Lt in flight training. Doing it right!
    "We are fools whether we dance or not - so we might as well dance."
    Japanese proverb

STOLHorse,

I think that there was an STC to put a door in the side of a Ercoupe. If there are any around, I do not know. There is a VERY active Ercoupe group on Yahoo, they would know if anyone does.

If you find out anything, please SHARE. With explicit DETAILS. It ticks me of to no end that people are able to do something, but do not give even the most basic details. Example, the women who flew the glider - Unless I missed it, she does not even say what glider, much less any details about the controls. Same with the video of John Askew, I have not looked thru the videos, but I hope he explains how he is able to operate the rudder, stick, throttle, and toe brakes with hand controls. (ok - end of rant now).

Send me a private msg if you want to discuss some thoughts I have on controlling/flying taildraggers as a para.

Thanks

I can see it on my other computer. That looks like a nice restoration project. I've heard they are really fun to fly, too.

I was wondering if there was any way to make a little door in the side of those (like a Spitfire) or if there is load-bearing structure along that sidewall. If it had a door, you could get in it by scooting up on the wing.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonsail View Post
    Markb, Do you know how much a set of union controls would cost if they were available?

Sorry, but I don't. The guy that rents me the Cherokee has a brothe who is a para. They fabricated some hand controls for him from some plans they found online. It didn't cost but a couple hundred dollars I believe....

The Union controls are for use on Cessnas and a few other aircraft.

Blackwood/Charles City Aviation controls are for use on Piper's.

I have seen another control that also goes on Pipers, but it was from before the Blackwood controls and I do not know who made them. IWA owns the STC. I can try and get more info if you need it.

The Piper controls are MUCH easier to make than those for a Cessna.

http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/hand_controls.html

http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/fi...nts_Part_1.pdf

http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/fi...nts_Part_2.pdf
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

When I was first researching the Ercoupe, I found a guy in Europe who had modified the side to make it easier to get into. But after seeing the amount of structural supports running down the sides of the airplane we decided we didn't want to add this modification and would find another way for me to get in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    STOLHorse,

I think that there was an STC to put a door in the side of a Ercoupe. If there are any around, I do not know. There is a VERY active Ercoupe group on Yahoo, they would know if anyone does.

If you find out anything, please SHARE. With explicit DETAILS. It ticks me of to no end that people are able to do something, but do not give even the most basic details. Example, the women who flew the glider - Unless I missed it, she does not even say what glider, much less any details about the controls. Same with the video of John Askew, I have not looked thru the videos, but I hope he explains how he is able to operate the rudder, stick, throttle, and toe brakes with hand controls. (ok - end of rant now).

Send me a private msg if you want to discuss some thoughts I have on controlling/flying taildraggers as a para.

Thanks

I know what you mean, Joe! I've seen all these videos and they don't share any details. It seems like we all have to go out and re-invent the wheel. I searched for more John Askew videos to see if he explained the modifications but I have not found anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Boy View Post
    When I was first researching the Ercoupe, I found a guy in Europe who had modified the side to make it easier to get into. But after seeing the amount of structural supports running down the sides of the airplane we decided we didn't want to add this modification and would find another way for me to get in and out.

That's interesting that it has been done. I wonder if any are out there in service.

I got in and out of a Caravan a couple times with a forklift and it worked great but the ultimate goal is to be able to get in and out un-aided and bring your wheelchair. Other than the Cherokee with the baggage door, I can't think of anything else that wouldn't require at least some help to load and unload the chair.

I do not know about the Ercoupe, up and over that sill would be a big job. I do know of para's flying C-150/152 and C-172 getting in by themselves and loading their chair also. Same with the low wing Pipers (no baggage door - hard on paint though). The best plane may be a C-177 Cardinal - big doors, no struts, and the landing gear is out of the way.

That's interesting that it has been done. I wonder if any are out there in service.

I got in and out of a Caravan a couple times with a forklift and it worked great but the ultimate goal is to be able to get in and out un-aided and bring your wheelchair. Other than the Cherokee with the baggage door, I can't think of anything else that wouldn't require at least some help to load and unload the chair.

I saw an ad someplace for LSA training in a Ercoupe someplace in Arizona. I may have seen the ad in Barnstormers.

PC Aircraft LSA training in San Manuel, AZ ????

I saw the same ad, and plan on heading to Arizona for training after the ercoupe is finished.
    I also hear about a para flying a turbo-commander. They said it had a ramp and he would just wheel straight into the cockpit!