Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SCI Pilot stuff and flying fun etc....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up SCI Pilot stuff and flying fun etc....

Flying is alot of fun and one of the best sports that everyone has to do sitting down. Of course, it is a little expensive too. But I hope you will not mind me posting some of the footage I have taken since getting my Private Pilot license back earlier this year.

And I know it is just a lame excuse for me to show-off just a wee bit... , but perhaps others flyers in here can post some of their experiences too???

Also, if you have any questions about the medical requirements, adaptive equipment and planes then post them here.

some pics:

That's me taking the infamous Kenny Herriot for a ride in a Piper Cherokee PA28-180

GoPro cameras are addictive too...

Even some helicopter flying....what a blast!!

There are some scholarships available for people interested in learning to fly, this one is with AbleFlight http://ableflight.org/scholarships

Fortuantely, I was already a pilot through the RAF before my accident. But knowing what I know now about flying, I would definitely be looking to learn to fly if I could not already. It is SUCH an amazing sport for us disabled folks....

Very cool Mark! That night time flying bit would see me looking for an open window to hurl though ... lol. Was dizzy just watching it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'd love to get my pilots license.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Amazingly good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

the flying i really miss

Nice videos, Mark! How do you mount the gopro on the stabilator? With the suction cup or something you made? Have you ever lost one?

I was a professional pilot until I got hurt racing dirt bikes in 2010. It took me a year and a half of appeals and tests and other BS to get my medical back but I finally got my 2nd class medical back and I am going to start flying again this month. I just bought a Blackwood hand control and I'm going to fly a cherokee at the local flight school to get my license back. I can't wait! I have not been in a plane in a year and a half and I miss it terribly!

What is between your legs? What are you using in the cherokee - I didn't notice a hand control?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Cass, Nice looking Jungmann! I hadn't seen one with that engine installation.

Good stuff!!

David

Thumbs up para flying

I was lucky enough to earn my pilots license back 1989. I really enjoyed learning. I had some great instructors. It turned out to be the best therapy at the time. The instructors always wanted to train in the most challenging conditions. Crosswinds, low vis, steep turns in 20-25 kts, Stalls, cordinated turns with the hand controls. It all was a blast. I lucked out when I found a Cessna 172 on floats. yep seaplane time. They had me get on a pallet on a forklift and then I crawled into the pilot's seat. That was the best. I really miss it. If anyone out there is thinking about learning to fly IMHO, do it. I was one of the highlights of my life.

good luck David!

Quote Originally Posted by STOLhorse View Post
    Nice videos, Mark! How do you mount the gopro on the stabilator? With the suction cup or something you made? Have you ever lost one?

I was a professional pilot until I got hurt racing dirt bikes in 2010. It took me a year and a half of appeals and tests and other BS to get my medical back but I finally got my 2nd class medical back and I am going to start flying again this month. I just bought a Blackwood hand control and I'm going to fly a cherokee at the local flight school to get my license back. I can't wait! I have not been in a plane in a year and a half and I miss it terribly!

What is between your legs? What are you using in the cherokee - I didn't notice a hand control?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Cass, Nice looking Jungmann! I hadn't seen one with that engine installation.

Good stuff!!

David

David - BIG congrats on getting that medical back, what a performance they put us through...letters from all kinds of doctors etc.

To those who do not fly - you do NOT have to get a medical, that is just for existing pilots who want to get their full status back. For new Para-pilots you would just get a "Sport" license. You just need to have a valid drivers license - no medical. You are limited to slightly less powerful planes and cannot fly at night, or take more than 1 passenger - but hey, its still flying!

I use the suction cup only inside the plane (beause I dont trust it). The owners of the plane let me stick the little mounts on the airplane surfaces....I have lost one, but it is at the bottom of Lake Allatoona from a sit-ski mishap.....

I can still use my legs to steer the rudder. It is not as good as before, but I passed my SODA test.

As for the helicopter, Canuck - I was using my feet on the tail-rotor too....they do not have hand controls for helicopters. I need to do some more lessons in cross-winds to see if my legs are really up to it, but early indications seem positive....

Finally, I took Sam flying this afternoon and got this shot.....was really nice to be out.

Cass....did you used to fly those???? I have been looking in to progressing to fly a Pitts SC2. But first I am looking to get my tailwheel endorsement in a converted C150 taildragger...that will be the true test of my dodgy feet.

Oh David, the contraption between my knees is a simple spreader bar that I made from plumbing parts at Home Depot. It keeps my knees clear of the controls, and indirectly keeps my feet in place on the pedals. I cannot actuate the foot-brakes so I use the hand brake to slow the plane......

Thanks for the nice comments also..... If you don't mind I will post more in this thread as I get into more flying....
    Last edited by MarkB701; 01-07-2013 at 12:26 AM.