Thread: Pressure relieving seat cover for car/van?

Pressure relieving seat cover for car/van?

I'm recovering from a pressure sore, 1st one in 27 years, and I don't ever want to get another one. Consequently I've switched out my Jay2 for a 2" Roho, and now a 3" Roho - which is very comfy.

I've taken the gel pack from my Jay2 and looked at ways to affix to the seat of my Safari van, but nothing is jumping out as a great way to do this.

I've looked online for options, but have yet to find anything that looked good.

Does anyone here use such a thing, or have suggestions on where to find something...other than cheap ebay stuff?

thanks,
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
    I'm recovering from a pressure sore, 1st one in 27 years, and I don't ever want to get another one. Consequently I've switched out my Jay2 for a 2" Roho, and now a 3" Roho - which is very comfy.

I've taken the gel pack from my Jay2 and looked at ways to affix to the seat of my Safari van, but nothing is jumping out as a great way to do this.

I've looked online for options, but have yet to find anything that looked good.

Does anyone here use such a thing, or have suggestions on where to find something...other than cheap ebay stuff?

thanks,
    mark
    Take what you have to a local trim shop an see if they can integrate the gel pack with the seat.

Maybe you have more than one trim shop in your area and can try more than one?
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

If the Roho cushions are working in your wheelchair, it might be a good idea to keep the same support on any surface upon which you sit. Investigate how you might integrate a Roho cushion system in your van seating rather than going backwards with the old gel pack of your Jay cushion.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    I find that a 2" Roho works fine in the van. In order to keep the front of the cushion from rolling up or sliding when I transfer, I used a couple of mini bungees through the mesh in the cover to a spring under the seat. the 4" Roho put me up too high.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 25 years post injury

i use a 2'' roho myself, works well..........

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try to secure a Roho, I was concerned about is slipping around during transfers. That's what led me back to the gel - I figured it would be easier to secure.

my roho just stays right there, but i'm T-12 so i lift the butt and sit it down, no sliding.........but i do have to secure it on the john deere when i jump on and off......

Quote Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try to secure a Roho, I was concerned about is slipping around during transfers. That's what led me back to the gel - I figured it would be easier to secure.
    Mark,

The included ROHO standard cover will help keep the cushion secure in the seat of your van. It has a non-skid bottom surface to help it cling to the van seat. If you find that it still slides on you, you can add velcro strips to beef up the security. Donno has a good suggestion as well. Let me know if you need any additional ROHO-related assistance.

Tom Borcherding
    The ROHO Group
    tomb@therohogroup.com

I would agree with Tom. When I transport my wife in our SUV I just put her spare ROHO directly on the seat. It doesn't move at all on leather and I struggle to position her due to spasticity.
    You might be concerned about the cushion though if your van seats are very soft. Seems like it could put excessive stress on the cushion. I don't worry on my old Mercedes seats as they are really flat and firm.