Thread: monoski seat-modify or buy new one?

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder

monoski seat-modify or buy new one?

I have a Yetti monoski for the last 15 years. I started skiing when I was 30, now I'm 45 and, well, midlife spread has occurred. I fit in the seat last season, but it made my hips sore and felt like it was trying to spit me out. I'm afraid I put on a few more pounds and am starting to wonder if I can modify the seat (fiberglass) or if I should get a new one. On the Yetti site the seats are $480 new, I don't really want to pay that much. I'd rather find a used one or ideally trade with someone who lost weight Ha ha. And, yes, I do make an effort to eat right and exercise, it's not like I'm huge. I bought the monoski used and it always seems like it was made for a guy, not a chick with hips.

You deserve a new one. If it'll keep you skiing, it's worth the money no matter how much.

I look at my handcycling in much the same way' if it keeps me riding longer or is more efficient, it's worth it. Been doing that for 36 almost 37 years and so far it's worked.

$480 does not sound too expensive for a bucket. Maybe check with Aspen Seating on what they have. Their standard seat it $600 I think. It is plastic though and flexes, which accommodates gaining/losing weight.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Look at the cost another way. Would you accept $480 to quit skiing? Of course not, get the best, be safe and have fun.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

If its glass, I'd go to a boat or Corvette place and see if they could make it bigger. Check the cost and go from there.

that's a good idea BFD, thanks, I should have thought of that. All I need is a few inches wider right at the hips.

Let me second Aspen Seating. Those guys custom make every one, and I've never met anyone who has bad things to say.

I'm a repeat customer, but I promise they're not paying me to say this lol!!

I ended up just squeezing in, it went ok. I don't go that often, we went twice this year. I think I'll try harder to loose weight this fall ha ha!